Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO!

+7
summerblues
Veejay
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
laverfan
legendkillar
noleisthebest
Tenez
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 Empty Re: Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO!

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 am

Who woudl have thought that Nadal is the one Federer shoudl thank for reaching those 300 weeks at the top?

By beating Djokovic 3 times on clay, it allowed Federer to have another look from the top of the world.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 Empty Re: Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO!

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:45 am

Tenez wrote:Who woudl have thought that Nadal is the one Federer shoudl thank for reaching those 300 weeks at the top?

By beating Djokovic 3 times on clay, it allowed Federer to have another look from the top of the world.
or maybe In Tiriac for inventing "blue clay".. federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 123628122

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:47 am

Well spotted!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Federer apparently still very keen to keep his year end ranking at number one.
"“I would love to finish No. 1 as well for the end of the year. For that
it's going to take a great stretch again, winning Basel, Paris, and
London I assume to give myself a chance. I'm relaxed about it. I'll give
everything I can. I want to get through this season well and finish
strong.”

I'm curious to know what Nole needs to do in order NOT to end up number one.
I think if he wins Bercy or even gets to the final, he'll end number one.
I wonder if the French are cooking up another hot fast tournament like they did 2 years ago....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:36 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Delpo, Gulbis in action in Vienna tomorrow.
Nieminen, Almagro, Youzhny start in Stokholm as well.
In Moscow Rosol The Great plays Istomin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:25 am

noleisthebest wrote:I'm curious to know what Nole needs to do in order NOT to end up number one.

Very hard for Nole not to finish #1:

Even assuming Fed wins everything (i.e., Basel, Paris, and WTF including all three RR matches), I think his total can only reach 12,165 (9,255 he has now plus 3,000 he can still win minus 90 from Doha which will become non-countable).

Nole already has 11,410. So he is only 755 points short of the max Fed can reach. So:

1. If Nole wins Paris, he is guaranteed #1.

2. If Nole loses in the F in Paris, all he needs to do is win one RR match at WTF

3. If Nole loses in the SF in Paris, all he needs to do is win two RR matches at WTF

4. If Nole loses in the QF in Paris, he needs to either (a) win all three RR matches or (b) make the final at WTF

5. If Nole loses before QF in Paris, he needs to advance from the RR group with at least two wins, and he needs to make the final at WTF

In addition, 2-5 all assume that Fed wins every single match for the rest of the season. If he does not, then it is even easier for Nole.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:24 am

Now YE No.1 is no longer his aim. He will only concentrate to win the 7th WTF. I won't mind his losing #1 by YE, he will have very chance to get it back by Fed 2013. 7 WTFs will be another great achievement.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:47 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:Now YE No.1 is no longer his aim. He will only concentrate to win the 7th WTF. I won't mind his losing #1 by YE, he will have very chance to get it back by Fed 2013. 7 WTFs will be another great achievement.

That's an interesting one, in fact. What would he prefer a 7th WTF or year end number one? I reckon he'd prefer to be number one at the end of the year. I know Nole would as well (except his would be a 2nd WTF)
We underestimate how much they love being there and how much they hate losing it. Winning WTF would be a nice second-best consolation, I do not doubt it!
I hope Nole snatches them both.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:50 am

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I'm curious to know what Nole needs to do in order NOT to end up number one.

Even assuming Fed wins everything (i.e., Basel, Paris, and WTF including all three RR matches), I think his total can only reach 12,165 (9,255 he has now plus 3,000 he can still win minus 90 from Doha which will become non-countable).

Nole already has 11,410. So he is only 755 points short of the max Fed can reach. So:

2. If Nole loses in the F in Paris, all he needs to do is win one RR match at WTF

3. If Nole loses in the SF in Paris, all he needs to do is win two RR matches at WTF

4. If Nole loses in the QF in Paris, he needs to either (a) win all three RR matches or (b) make the final at WTF

5. If Nole loses before QF in Paris, he needs to advance from the RR group with at least two wins, and he needs to make the final at WTF

In addition, 2-5 all assume that Fed wins every single match for the rest of the season. If he does not, then it is even easier for Nole.

Your breakdown took my train thought to how the ranking would have looked had Nadal not been out of competition. Who benefited most from his absence?
I say Murray.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 am

noleisthebest wrote:

That's an interesting one, in fact. What would he prefer a 7th WTF or year end number one? I reckon he'd prefer to be number one at the end of the year. I know Nole would as well (except his would be a 2nd WTF)

Preference is one thing, being realistic is another. YE #1 is now beyond his own efforts, he will very largely depend on how Djoko does. He before shanghai made it clear that he plans long term. Thats how its should be for someone his age and list of achievements. Reaching #1 was his goal and that he achieved. Ending the Year as #1 would have been a bonus. The best he can do within his own efforts for this year is to win WTF, the 7th time. He will again have his shot at #1 by Feb time.

noleisthebest wrote:We underestimate how much they love being there and how much they hate losing it. Winning WTF would be a nice second-best consolation, I do not doubt it! .

We can't think for them, who knows exactly what they have in their minds. If ending the year as #1 was such a great feat, then Wozniacki and Safina would have been considered great players. Are they??

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Ellison Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:25 am

noleisthebest wrote:
summerblues wrote:

Your breakdown took my train thought to how the ranking would have looked had Nadal not been out of competition. Who benefited most from his absence?
I say Murray.
Murray and Federer.

Larry Ellison

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:00 pm

I am not sure the Nadal abscense benefited Federer. His presence certainly helped Federer regain the #1 spot by beating Djko on clay. Federer may have never broken the record and the 300 weeks without Nadal beating Djoko 3 times on the trott on clay.

I don't think Nadal coudl have stopped Federer in his US run. If anything Nadal helps tire the other 2 physical players and gives Federer a better chance.

But imo Federer's problem is more to do with his form than any other player. When he is on top form he is still unbeatable....well that was true up to recently.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Ellison Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Nadal has shown he can beat Fed in BO5 Wimby, in-fact I think he would beat Fed in any Slam match.
Current slam H2H is 8-2, Fed hasn't won since 2007.

Larry Ellison

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Amritia3ee wrote:Nadal has shown he can beat Fed in BO5 Wimby, in-fact I think he would beat Fed in any Slam match.
Current slam H2H is 8-2, Fed hasn't won since 2007.

Rosol has also shown he can beat Nadal in BO5 Wimby.

5 of those slam encounters were on clay. It;s like those who said (and you were one of them) that Federer could not beat Nadal on outdoor HC. a few weeks later he did it in brilliant fashion under strong wind favouring Nadal.

The fact is Federer is still number one and Nadal is number 4 soon. So what was happened yesterday doesn't give us much clue on what's going to happen tomorrow.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Ellison Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Tenez wrote:
Rosol has also shown he can beat Nadal in BO5 Wimby.
So? Does this change the fact Nadal has beaten Federer 8 out of 10 times in Grand Slams? Federer is Nadal's bunny in Grand Slams. Fed beat Nadal when he was a youngster (aged 22- at which age Federer hadn't even won a Grand Slam)

Tenez wrote:
;s like those who said (and you were one of them) that Federer could not beat Nadal on outdoor HC. a few weeks later he did it in brilliant fashion
That's a total lie. Can you not misquote me please, I don't appreciate it at all. I actually predicted Federer to win in straight sets, I hope you don't misquote me like that in future.
http://www.606v2.com/t26046-yet-again-roger-federer-to-meet-rafael-nadal-in-sf-iw-2012#1058539
Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:24 am:
amritia3ee wrote:Well who has dropped more sets this tournament?

Still I think Fed in 2.

Tenez wrote:
The fact is Federer is still number one and Nadal is number 4 soon.
He's already number 4, as he's been out for the second half of 2012.

Tenez wrote:
So what was happened yesterday doesn't give us much clue on what's going to happen tomorrow.
Yes it does. Of course it does.
It's gives us a clue, doesn't guarantee anything though.

Larry Ellison

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Amritia3ee wrote:So? Does this change the fact Nadal has beaten Federer 8 out of 10 times in Grand Slams?

How many times was Nadal clean out of those 10 times? Just to take the AO12 example, how can you explain that Nadal was thrashed 63/60 2 months before?

Anyway, your predicting Fed in 2 at IW has nothing to do with the fact your were boasting everywhere on v2 that Fed had never beaten Fed on HC. I am not misquoting. You are a supersticious poster who constantly down your player's chance before a match....very much like Nadal himself.

And when it comes to misquoting we all remember very well that was your method on v2, even messing around with teh "quoting" functionality. So get off your tiny poney.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Ellison Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Tenez wrote:
How many times was Nadal clean out of those 10 times?

Tenez wrote:
Just to take the AO12 example, how can you explain that Nadal was thrashed 63/60 2 months before?
Look at my post on Page 1 of this thread: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Tenez wrote:
Anyway, your predicting Fed in 2 at IW has nothing to do with the fact your were boasting everywhere on v2 that Fed had never beaten Fed on HC.
I presume you mean Nadal* rather than Federer.
No, that's another lie, another misquote.
Are you clutching at straws, making it up as you go along?
I never said Nadal had never beaten Fed on HC. I never said that. I know fully well on indoor HC Federer has many wins, and also beat Nadal in Miami 2005 (IIRC). So I never said that.

Tenez wrote:
I am not misquoting.
You just did, twice now.

Tenez wrote:
You are a supersticious poster who constantly down your player's chance before a match....very much like Nadal himself.
Perhaps.

Tenez wrote:
And when it comes to misquoting we all remember very well that was your method on v2, even messing around with teh "quoting" functionality.
You mean the incident with Josiah?
That was a joke. He quoted me as saying something like 'Federer is the greatest', and as a reply I jokingly quoted him as saying 'Noodull was the greatest.' That was in jest between us two, and in-fact even yesterday he did a similar thing on the Shanghai thread: http://www.606v2.com/t36019-here-we-go-the-murray-v-djoko-xvi-the-shanghai-final
Josiah Maiestas wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Level of tennis miles higher than French Open final 2012!!!!!!!

Thats right man you got the knowledge.
(I didn't actually say that, Josiah swapped USO Final 2012 for French Open final 2012; then as a reply joke I quoted him with French Open 2009).
There's a difference between that (which was in-jest, a joke); and what you have just done, twice.

Larry Ellison

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:58 pm

When you're over there on v2, say hello to Julius Marx, Amri and ask him is Polished Man his alternative ID?
I'm really curious to know

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Ellison Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:22 am

No, he isn't.

Larry Ellison

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:21 pm

No I am pretty sure they are not the same. Polished man is obsessed by women.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Tenez wrote:No I am pretty sure they are not the same. Polished man is obsessed by women.

I thought they both were....one just more obvious than the other federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 1071211947

Same sense of humour, as well.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Ellison Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:10 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

No, not at all.
JHM makes funny puns and play-on-word jokes, while Polished Man makes slightly immature direct jokes.

Larry Ellison

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Amritia3ee wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

No, not at all.
JHM makes funny puns and play-on-word jokes, while Polished Man makes slightly immature direct jokes.

no!!!!!
Polished Man is just his cameo, don't you get it, all the things Julius REALLY thinks but keeps it under wraps under that ID. Same stamp, trust me federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 1071211947

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Ellison Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:26 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Amritia3ee wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

No, not at all.

no!!!!!
Polished Man is just his cameo, don't you get it, all the things Julius REALLY thinks but keeps it under wraps under that ID. Same stamp, trust me federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 1071211947
No.

Larry Ellison

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:40 pm

ok then...if you insist! (but I'm not convinced)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:26 am

Interesting few statements from Federer after his last night's match. particularly like the insight/importance he gives to the WTF and reasoning behind it.
From the ATP website:
"World No. 1 Roger Federer says that a repeat of his triple crown finish to last season is achievable, but that he would not let the challenge become a burden in the final three weeks of the season. Speaking after his first-round 7-5, 6-3 win over Benjamin Becker at the Swiss Indoors Basel, Federer said that his chances of repeating his hat-trick of 2011 wins in Basel, the BNP Paribas Masters in Bercy and the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London depended on a number of factors.

“I think it’s possible, but look, it’s tough,” Federer said. “It all depends on what the scheduling is, who your opponents are and if you get a chance to get on a run... But that shouldn’t be my goal right now to win all three again. The goal is to first play here and see how I go.”

This year it will be an even tougher challenge with no rest week between Paris and London. Federer needs a strong finish to the year if he is to win the battle with Novak Djokovic for the prized year-end No. 1 position in the South African Airways ATP Rankings.

While Federer spoke of staying focused on the immediate goal of winning a sixth title at his hometown event in Basel, he did let his mind wander briefly to the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, where he will look to win a seventh crown.

“There’s no question I want to play well at the [Barclays ATP] World Tour Finals,” he said. “That should be the highlight of the season now at the end of the year. It is one of the biggest events we have in the sport and I want to finish the season strong against my fellow Top 10 players. So there is still a lot on the line, but right now I have to think day by day. It’s the only way to handle the next crazy three weeks.”

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 am

What a shame to have squeezed those 3 weeks on the trott!

Finishing number 1 is very important for meny reason. In fact I suspect players care more about the money side than the record on that occasion. I suspect most sponsors contracts have accelerators if they finish the year number 1.

Is there a chance Fed wins player of the year if he wins WImby and WTF?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:35 am

Tenez wrote:

Is there a chance Fed wins player of the year if he wins WImby and WTF?

He's had an exquisite year and I'm sure he's very happy with it regardless of sponsors, money etc. Esp all these fake awards nobody cares about.

For him to have gone back to number one is the most special achievement this year in my eyes.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:43 am

True and that's why he is probably only looking for icing and cherries nowadays...and another "player of the year" is another cherry...I guess.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am

The most consistent player of the year is definitely Djokovic. He hasn't suffered any loss before a QF and that too was only on one occasion in Madrid. Consistency wise, he has appeared the most consistent player this year. Player of the year award? If its based on votings, perhaps Murray might get it.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:The most consistent player of the year is definitely Djokovic. He hasn't suffered any loss before a QF and that too was only on one occasion in Madrid. Consistency wise, he has appeared the most consistent player this year. Player of the year award? If its based on votings, perhaps Murray might get it.

Doubt it. He's the least popular of the 4 by far.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:31 am

This week makes Fed's run to 302 weeks. And even if Djokovic too withdraws from Bercy, he will move to #1 next monday.

So for now the record will stand at 302 weeks which in itself is highly credible.

To the 302 weeks at #1 Cheers

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 am

Yes he is number 1 this week but how???? I don;t know. It's a bit ridiculous to count the basel points twice. He has 800 points showing from Basel!!! Not bad for a finalist!

Gasquet is for the same reasons deprived of 45 points while Monaco is still riding his Valence finals points.

Weird!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Tenez wrote:Yes he is number 1 this week but how????
Weird!

Call it the gift of ATP schedulers.... a freebie!
Would he have preferred to have a week between Paris and London in exchange for this extra week at number one, that is the question federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 123628122

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Tenez wrote:Yes he is number 1 this week but how???? I don;t know. It's a bit ridiculous to count the basel points twice. He has 800 points showing from Basel!!! Not bad for a finalist!

Gasquet is for the same reasons deprived of 45 points while Monaco is still riding his Valence finals points.

Weird!

Though Basel points have been added twice due to the shifting of the tournament by a week, still Fed would have retained his #1 this week.

If last years Basel points are dropped:

Fed: 11815
Djokovic: 11790

So still be would have been #1 for another week.

So it was no gift.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 pm

What about 1000 points from Paris not being dropped?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Ok...good point rotla. Thanks.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:01 pm

noleisthebest wrote:What about 1000 points from Paris not being dropped?

Paris points drop off on 05-Nov-2012. Points are awarded for minimum 51+ weeks. If the tournament shifts its date, this rule still remain valid.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:05 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:What about 1000 points from Paris not being dropped?

Paris points drop off on 05-Nov-2012. Points are awarded for minimum 51+ weeks. If the tournament shifts its date, this rule still remain valid.

well the way ATP does points calculating, you could tell me anything you like and I'll have to believe..... just joking! federer - Federer is closing in on 300 weeks at Number UNO! - Page 3 1071211947

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Fed was very unlucky in a way not to finish number 1 in 2003. He ended the year by destroying everybody in teh Houston Masters and was just one match away (Paris 1/4f v Henman) from finishing number 1.

Here he is a bit further away but still pretty close.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3