Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Race For Year-End Number 1 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Race For Year-End Number 1 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Race For Year-End Number 1 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Race For Year-End Number 1 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Race For Year-End Number 1 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Race For Year-End Number 1 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Race For Year-End Number 1 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Race For Year-End Number 1 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Race For Year-End Number 1 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Race For Year-End Number 1

+2
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
noleisthebest
6 posters

Go down

Race For Year-End Number 1 Empty Race For Year-End Number 1

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Tennis glory is generally universally recognised by the number of slams a player has won.

Every tennis player dreams of two things, though: to win Wimbledon and be ranked number one.

Historically speaking, all three dreams usually go hand in hand: Roger Federer tops all three charts: he has won most slams, Wimbledon trophies and been longest at the top both in consecutive and total weeks.

Pete Sampras holds the record of six year-end number ones, which were in consecutive years from 1993 through 1998.
Only five players have stayed at number 1 in the rankings every week of a calendar year. Federer is the only player to have been ranked number 1 every week for three consecutive calendar years.
Usually, number one ranking would have been relatively secure by this stage in the season as in the last ten years we have seen domination of three players who would win at least two slams a year and be difficult to catch in autumn.
Not in 2012.
Although looking a healthy 1335-ish points ahead of his closest rival Novak Djokovic, Federer has a lot of points to defend: last year he won Basel, Paris Bercy as well as WTF, a total of 3000 points.
Because of his back injury, Novak missed the entire Asian swing last year and is in an excellent position to gain 1500 there closing the gap on Federer significantly even before WTF in London.
I am not quite sure if this is possible, but wouldn't it be great to have the two battle for the top spot in the WTF final?

Let's not forget Andy Murray, who does not hide his number one ambition. He too benefited from the absence of the big three last year and won a lot of points in Asia. So in order to keep the status quo, he has to defend 1500 just in the next two weeks, before getting in the position for earning any new ones.

Federer has been quiet since his Davis Cup match in Holland, but Novak, who is starting his comeback tomorrow, as usual, does not hide his ambition. Despite having played fewer tournaments than Federer and Murray, he leads in the ATP race for 2012 season:

"It is still open, the No. 1 spot of the world. Obviously I will try to dedicate myself and focus on every tournament
that I play. I try not to think about what's going to happen at the end
of the season because there is still more than a few tournaments to go
here in Asia and then the indoor season in Europe. Everything is
possible, but I will try to not think about calculations, not think
about any other players' results, and just concentrate on my own game."

So, year-end number one, come back to Nole Race For Year-End Number 1 151447854 !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkPbM9Qhk-4

P.S.
I'll let you into a little secret. I wrote all this just so I can share this super-cute song with you...well not quite, but almost! Race For Year-End Number 1 583979061

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Race For Year-End Number 1 Empty Re: Race For Year-End Number 1

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:47 am

A new topic being created for this, then I'll post here.

Fed updated on his fb page that he is playing Shanghai this year.
"Looking forward to going back to China and playing in the Shanghai Rolex Masters. I have always enjoyed China and I can't wait to see my great chinese fans again. See you soon!"

Good news as I wanted a good competitive field for any masters tournament. Also shows he is looking for the YE #1.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:06 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:A new topic being created for this, then I'll post here.

Sorry, I didn't realise this came across as a doubling effort, my intention was to draw attention to the actual value and importance of number one ranking.
The other thread follows ATP race ranking for WTF qualifying, this one is more focused on number one ranking.

In recent years the importance and value of number one ranking has been overshadowed by GOAT discussions and they all revolve around the number of slams.

I think the quality of each player shows a lot about a player's relative strength/domination/quality in their generation.
You had players who were number one just for one week (Rafter) or Moya with just two.
I bet you didn't know that Roddick was longer at number one than Becker (only by a week - 13 altogether)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:40 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:A new topic being created for this, then I'll post here.

Fed updated on his fb page that he is playing Shanghai this year.
"Looking forward to going back to China and playing in the Shanghai Rolex Masters. I have always enjoyed China and I can't wait to see my great chinese fans again. See you soon!"

Good news as I wanted a good competitive field for any masters tournament. Also shows he is looking for the YE #1.

and Fed specifically said, "the Shanghai Rolex Masters" as Rolex is important in there. I think this is more of a reason that the YE #1 ranking but I agree the latter is important to him too and can be another important reason for him to play Shanghai this year.

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:23 pm

And I would not underestimate the role of tennis ambassador he thinks he has. I think he believes millions of Chinese want to see him..whether true or not I don't know but I believe he cares.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Ellison Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Tenez wrote:And I would not underestimate the role of tennis ambassador he thinks he has. I think he believes millions of Chinese want to see him..whether true or not I don't know but I believe he cares.
Thumbs Up

Larry Ellison

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:46 pm

In the light of coming WTF, Federer gave an interesting, meaningful and honest interview. It's on the ATP site .
He talks about his WTFs, the early ones, how much win over Agassi meant, AND how money and points influenced the pressure.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Media/Videos/Uploaded/2012/10/2/ATP-World-Tour-Uncovered---Roger-Federer.aspx#ooid=R5aWsyNjr3wZoKaw-87Pa99mMOsNsxyA

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Yes, read it. He sounds like someone who has very little left to prove, very confident.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:18 pm

From Federer's latest Shanghai interview:

“I hope I will finish World No. 1 at the end of the year,” said Federer, who is competing for the first time since the US Open.
"For me it's about trying to play well here in Shanghai and go from there. If everything would have been totally focused on World No. 1, I would have gone to Tokyo or Beijing, most likely, and all those things. "I've already reached my goal by getting back to World No. 1 in the summer. That was for me the goal, getting back there and winning a Grand Slam, particularly Wimbledon.

I feel very much at peace and I'm happy. I always have to look 12 months ahead, as well, making sure I stay injury free, that I stay
hungry for more. This is where if it works out, great, and if it doesn't, someone else plays better. I am here, so I'll give it the best shot I can and we'll see how it goes.”

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:04 am

Looks like Fed's goal was 300+ weeks and he managed it. I didn't expect him to break a leg in Shanghai. Perhaps he will withdraw from Basel or Barcy or will play poor and lose early in one of those.

YE No.1 is almost beyond his own efforts. He needs to win all and Djokovic needs to play very poor.

His main goal for this year now would be to win a 7th WTF.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Can anyone please tell me why Nole isn't playing in Basel when he has points to defend (not many, true, but still)?

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Is he playing Valencia instead?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:11 pm

No, it doesn't seem to be the case...

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:31 pm

I didn't know he was skipping Basel...did he do his mandatory 500 events for the year? I ko whe played Dubai and Beijing, is it 2 or 3 500 torunaments they need?
If he did, and has not a lot to defend, it's the luxury he can afford. Be sharp, fresh and ready for Paris and London and let Roger defend his 500 in Basel. Murray will be there to keep him "top" company Race For Year-End Number 1 1071211947

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:10 am

As of this Monday's atp rankings, Federer is only 195 points ahead of Nole.
In the race, Nole leads by 2155 points.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:05 am

noleisthebest wrote:As of this Monday's atp rankings, Federer is only 195 points ahead of Nole.

Yes, its highly likely Djokovic will end with YE ranking. I just want it to see this ranking decider going to the very last match of the year for both of them . Wouldn't that be fun? chef

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:42 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:As of this Monday's atp rankings, Federer is only 195 points ahead of Nole.

Yes, its highly likely Djokovic will end with YE ranking. I just want it to see this ranking decider going to the very last match of the year for both of them . Wouldn't that be fun? Race For Year-End Number 1 2408860481
It would be absolutely magical, but I don't think it would come to that, still ,I would love to see them in the WTF final regardless, the two best players of the year, it would be a fantastic ending to the season Race For Year-End Number 1 151447854

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 pm

And it's official Race For Year-End Number 1 83870220

"Novak Djokovic has clinched the year-end No. 1 ranking, becoming the
first player to finish the season atop the ATP standings in consecutive
years since Roger Federer achieved four straight No. 1 finishes from
2004-07.

Djokovic, who lost the top spot to Federer after the Swiss won
Wimbledon, will reclaim the No. 1 ranking on November 5, when Federer’s
points from his 2011 title runs at Basel, the Paris Masters, and the ATP
World Tour Finals drop off his record. Federer added final-round points
from his runner-up finish in Basel last Sunday, but he pulled out of
the Paris Masters and will lose all 1000 points he earned there last
tear. The ATP stated that Federer will not be able to earn enough
rankings points to finish the year ahead of Djokovic.

Djokovic has an ATP-best 70-11 match record this year, and won the
Australian Open, Miami Masters, Toronto Masters, Beijing, and Shanghai
Masters tournaments. He was also a finalist at Roland Garros, the U.S.
Open, and three other Masters tournaments."

BRAVO NOLE!!!!!

Race For Year-End Number 1 NovakDjokovic

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:39 pm

Fits here better maybe:

Fed was very unlucky in a way not to finish number 1 in 2003. He ended the year by destroying everybody in teh Houston Masters and was just one match away (Paris 1/4f v Henman) from finishing number 1.

Here he is a bit further away but still pretty close.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Tenez wrote:Fits here better maybe:

Fed was very unlucky in a way not to finish number 1 in 2003. He ended the year by destroying everybody in teh Houston Masters and was just one match away (Paris 1/4f v Henman) from finishing number 1.

Here he is a bit further away but still pretty close.

I think he's done exceptionally well this year. Even I'm proud of his number one recapturing and beating that 300 week record Race For Year-End Number 1 2998105013 .

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Yes but as I said Nadal helped him a lot during that clay season. I expected Djoko and Murray to help Fed the previous years (209/2010) but they coudl not beat Nadal then.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Tenez wrote:Yes but as I said Nadal helped him a lot during that clay season. I expected Djoko and Murray to help Fed the previous years (209/2010) but they coudl not beat Nadal then.
yes, those were extremely frustrating years for THIS Nole fan....some of those losses to Nadal were nothing short of brutal...which is why I am so proud of how Nole turned the tide and finished Nadal off.
I don't think Murray has the guts to do the same.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:12 pm

I think Murray has. He did it at slams at an even younger age than Djoko!

The only thing is that Nadal went a few more notches up phsyically and Murray's FH became a real liability.

But I woudl be very surprised if Nadal were to beat Murray again.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Tenez wrote:

That's a bold statement even for slow AO courts, but I certainly look forward to seeing what happens in their next match, esp a slam one, I Nadal will still have the edge as Murray is still so tentative with his forehand, although, you jsust don't know what Nadal is going to come back and if he is going to come back at all.
Nothing would surprise me from him.
I actually think he'll come back for AO then skip IW & Miami and be back for clay.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:02 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:

That's a bold statement even for slow AO courts, but I certainly look forward to seeing what happens in their next match, esp a slam one, I Nadal will still have the edge as Murray is still so tentative with his forehand, although, you jsust don't know what Nadal is going to come back and if he is going to come back at all.
Nothing would surprise me from him.
I actually think he'll come back for AO then skip IW & Miami and be back for clay.

Murray and Nadal, that must be wanted match in AO. I can hear sizzling emotions already now. I am for Andy, if he stays focused he should do it. Quite different match would be on clay, where Andy is not able to step deeper in the court and then he plays too much passively. I see a clay season only between Nole and Nadal again, if they both stay healthy. Would be really nice to see Nole to win in RG.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down