Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Murray: Great Expectations, New Number One Anyone?

+4
luvsports!
Tenez
Veejay
noleisthebest
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray: Great Expectations, New Number One Anyone?

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:01 am

Absolutely paul. Even Tipsarrvic says the same about it.

"I know it's an early-season tournament but I can tell you that the six of us take this very seriously."

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/27/5078633/murray-loses-to-tipsarevic-in.html

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray: Great Expectations, New Number One Anyone?

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Djokovic vs Almagro in the Mubadala final.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Murray gets an OBE !

It is with incredible pride that I have been named in the New Year Honours List to receive an OBE from Her Majesty the Queen for Services to Sport,” Murray told his official website on Saturday.

2012 has been an amazing year for British sport and I am proud to have been able to play my part. I reached my first Wimbledon final, competed and won gold at the London 2012 Olympics with Team GB at Wimbledon, and then won my first grand slam title at the US Open. Being recognised in such a way at the end of such a great season is the finishing touch on 2012. Thank you all for your support, I hope everyone has a very happy New Year.....and here’s to 2013!”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Murray-OBE-New-Year-Honour.aspx?print=true

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 pm

An interesting boxing-loving, nice-guy pre AO interview from Murray:

“I asked a lot of questions about current boxers and how you train. He was saying boxing is 70 per cent mental, 30 per cent physical in the actual talent you need, and I think that applies to a lot of sports.

“The difference in how guys hit a ball is not that huge, but it’s about how you deal with the pressure moments and who can hold their nerve. When you get towards the end of sets, some guys make more mistakes than others.”

For an example of that last point, you had only to watch the way Murray dismantled the extravagantly talented Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov in the final of the Brisbane International. Like a crocodile lurking in a water hole, Murray observed the charismatic Dimitrov without blinking. Then, at the business end of each set, he pounced decisively.

His ruthlessness owed much to the mental and physical resilience honed through the long hours of his training block in Miami. Towards the end of last year, Murray and his fitness trainer, Jez Green, started working to improve his foot speed and shot power, by doubling his weekly weightlifting sessions from two to four. The satisfying result was that he stacked on an extra three pounds of muscle.

During his sojourns in his penthouse flat overlooking Miami’s South Beach, Murray performs his bar-dips and leg-presses at the Sports Club/LA, an elegantly appointed gym frequented by Miami Heat basketball players, WWF wrestlers and the odd Hollywood actor. He goes mostly unnoticed amid the glitz, yet one suspects he would prefer a different kind of anonymity – that provided by the dusty, egalitarian boxing gym.
The most violent behaviour you ever see from him is his habit of repeatedly smacking his own forehand – an extreme version of Homer Simpson’s “D’oh” – after a poor choice of shot. In a recent interview, Murray’s coach, Ivan Lendl, made a rare complaint about his charge’s gentle nature, suggesting that “I think Andy is too nice sometimes”, and complaining that he is too prone to play a clever lob off a short ball when “I wanted it buried, either
in the corner or the guy’s nuts”.

When the remark is mentioned, Murray grins wolfishly. “That’s his style. I mean, Ivan would do it often. I’ve done it. I hit Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at Wimbledon. But it wouldn’t be something I would choose to do. I would rather
hit the ball into the open court than try to hit my opponent, but if it’s there and it’s the play that you need to use to win the point, then fine. Hitting passing shots straight up the middle of the court is a legitimate play because guys rarely expect it.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/australianopen/9786114/Andy-Murray-says-breakthrough-wins-at-US-Open-and-London-2012-Olympics-make-him-only-more-motivated.html

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Does he believe his own story?

Boxers spend their time to improve their physics and this is what makes them strong mentally....no different than Murray actually. Once the physics of the contenders are close, then of course talent and mind play a huge role....the biggest role but first they need to be able to face the physical challenge.

Muray answer this simple question: if Mind is so important why all the physical players like you need to waste time between points? to recover your spirit...or your breath?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Tenez, I think we need you to interview Lance Armstrong, not Ophra murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 1071211947 !

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm

I want to interview Murray Nadal Federer and you man.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Tenez wrote:I want to interview Murray Nadal Federer and you man.

So, what would you like to know?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 am

I really do blame Roddick for the ridiculous fitness regimes that the modern player now pushes themselves through.

I am the most ardent Murray fan, but stacking more muscle? Come on Andy. You'll end up like Lou Ferringo or something! Just obscene! He won a Slam in 2012. For me Andy sharpen up on things in your game which are still weak like the serve.

When you read of such regimes, you wonder why many aspiring tennis players re-think their position if bulking up is the way to the top.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 am

Roddick? He certainly jumped on the bandwagon but since 2000 It has to be Hewitt, then Nadal. Roddick is an explosive player who wanted short rallies....until he realised conds were different from when he started playing.

But yes both have been trained by Brad and that closes the discussion. murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 1564925666

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:31 am

Roddick's training regime was bat shit crazy. Hewitt was more legs and legs. Roddick was just bulk! The fact he did 16 lbs in weight when Stefanki came on board shows just what a mass of muscle he was. Roddick went for 'I will blast Roger from the court with power' which was doomed to fail.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 am

legendkillar wrote:Roddick's training regime was bat shit crazy. Hewitt was more legs and legs. Roddick was just bulk! The fact he did 16 lbs in weight when Stefanki came on board shows just what a mass of muscle he was. Roddick went for 'I will blast Roger from the court with power' which was doomed to fail.

Was Roddick sweating like mad before Stefanski? I can't remember.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 am

noleisthebest wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Roddick's training regime was bat shit crazy. Hewitt was more legs and legs. Roddick was just bulk! The fact he did 16 lbs in weight when Stefanki came on board shows just what a mass of muscle he was. Roddick went for 'I will blast Roger from the court with power' which was doomed to fail.

Was Roddick sweating like mad before Stefanski? I can't remember.

He was indeed. I would've dread to catch his cap had it landed on me when he threw it in the crowd!

2001-2003 he was actually a good athlete and had good coverage. Beyond that he took a different approach in terms of bulking up and whilst he was the second best player for a while, his speed suffered. Who could forget the embarrassment that was the 2006 US Open final where he was slow to the net by the time he got there, the presentation was being set up!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 am

Yes even Roddick admitted to add 10kg of muscles since he started. But Nadal arrived in 2005 with the 10kg extra and 5 litres of EPO constantly flowing.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:03 am

On Murray and his "new muscles"

"Speaking of muscle, that’s all anyone can talk about when it comes to
Andy Murray at the moment. The man he beat yesterday, Robin Haase, had
this to say about Muzz: “He has changed really well, and he has worked
hard for that, to get stronger in the legs. Look at him and you can see
he’s strong...” Haase also said that no matter how hard he worked out,
he couldn’t build muscle the Murray does.

Herald Sun columnist Ron Reed thinks it isn't just the legs that have bulked up. “Murray also looked to be filling out his shirt more.”

Muzz himself was defensive on the subject. “Most of the weight I put on
is in my legs, but the T-shirt I’m wearing is tighter,” he said
yesterday. “It’s not that I’m any bigger in the upper body.”

Why would Murray insist that what we see is just an optical illusion?
Shouldn’t he be happy to look fit? I can only imagine that it’s the
specter of steroids that hangs over every athlete. Which is too bad. By
all accounts, Murray has always, even at 15 years old, been dedicated to
his job and everything that comes with it."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 am

His legs and bum on slo-mo HD were absurdly impressive. He is like a horse!

It puts so much more pressure on a player like Haase to pull a good shot. It completely changes the dynamic AND mental aspect of the match.

Talent certainly becomes irrelevant in such a match. When they first played in 2007 it was very different!

Last edited by Tenez on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 am

Tenez wrote:His legs and bum on slo-mo HD were absurdly impressive. He is like a horse!

haven't had the "pleasure" of noticing yet (rotla needs to add that throwing up "smiley" asap murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 1071211947 )

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:17 am

Caught glimpses of the match last night as somehow I recorded Eurosport 2 and not 1 which meant it was a shriek fest murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 2786941968

Can't really draw any conclusions as it was a straight forward win for Murray. Not like it was a marker of any kind.

Now the Dolgo-Monfils match, that was entertainment. That's what happens when players are not thinking too much with what they are going to do.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:53 pm

Murray still hoping to become number one this year:

"My next aim is to try to play good tennis in Indian Wells I’ve realised in the last year or so that when I set myself short-term goals, I tend to play better. Previously after every Slam, I would look way ahead to the next one and take my eye off the ball with respect to the other events.Indian Wells wasn’t good for me last year and I didn’t do particularly well on the clay until the French, so there’s potential to pick up points and improve my rankings.
If I had won this final against Novak, Iwould have had two Slam titles, a Wimbledon final and Olympic gold and still been well behind him. There was that argument not long ago about Caroline Wozniacki being world No 1
without winning a Slam. The reality is with the consistency of Novak just now and Rafa on his way back, getting to No 1 is going to be even tougher"

Clear signs of Murray's immature thinking. No surprise there.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:06 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Murray still hoping to become number one this year:

"My next aim is to try to play good tennis in Indian Wells I’ve realised in the last year or so that when I set myself short-term goals, I tend to play better. Previously after every Slam, I would look way ahead to the next one and take my eye off the ball with respect to the other events.Indian Wells wasn’t good for me last year and I didn’t do particularly well on the clay until the French, so there’s potential to pick up points and improve my rankings.
If I had won this final against Novak, I
would have had two Slam titles, a Wimbledon final and Olympic gold and
still been well behind him,’ said Murray. ‘There
was that argument not long ago about Caroline Wozniacki being world No 1
without winning a Slam. The reality is with the consistency of Novak
just now and Rafa on his way back, getting to No 1 is going to be even
tougher"

Murray adjusted his goal in an interview which I have read yesterday, where he said that he would not overcome Nole, but he could surpass Fed at the end year ranking. I would say that he can do it, a key will be how he will be succesfull on clay. I start already laughing to see him playing with Morybundus. Indians will be hunted each other murray - Murray: Great Expectations,  New Number One Anyone? - Page 2 4006036031

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13 pm

I have a feeling Moribundus is finished and is not going to come back. He may play some exos and that's it.
I think Fed is still better than Murray. If they played in Wimbledon now, he'd beat him there. On clay, too. Even on hard courts if he is rested.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I have a feeling Moribundus is finished and is not going to come back. He may play some exos and that's it.
I think Fed is still better than Murray. If they played in Wimbledon now, he'd beat him there. On clay, too. Even on hard courts if he is rested.

Fed´s game stands on his serve too much and their AO semi showed that Fed has nothing in his bag how to outplay Murray. It was a bit surprising, but not that much. Since the last year Murray has improved his serve and got the confidence by OG win, without a mention of FH improvement, returning and more stepping into court. If Fed served at Wimbledon as he did at AO, I am with Murray, although I do not like it.

I do not know what to expect from Murray on clay, but surely he will not worse than last year. I have some doubts about his health on clay though.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

I think Fed was tired in AO tbh. Tsonga match drained him and Murray was fresh.
Fed had a tough draw compared to Murray esp as he should've had it easier being a number 2.

I watched Fed beat Murray in O2 live, Murray is very beatable by Fed.

To me Murray still doesn't have a functional forehand (it's not a weapon) and until that happens, he is a number 4 in my eyes.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:59 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I think Fed was tired in AO tbh. Tsonga match drained him and Murray was fresh.
Fed had a tough draw compared to Murray esp as he should've had it easier being a number 2.

I watched Fed beat Murray in O2 live, Murray is very beatable by Fed.

To me Murray still doesn't have a functional forehand (it's not a weapon) and until that happens, he is a number 4 in my eyes.

Yes, Fed´s tiredness had surely a big effect on their match or rather Fed´s back problem. When Fed serves well, then everything is ok with him.

I also have to agree that Murray´s FH is not as perfect or rather he loses his stance and swing during the match. But he has a bit improved it.

I am not sure whether GS with BO5 will not hamper Fed due to his back problem from now on. If he stays healthy, then he still is there.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 am

I agree with you two there....even in your disagreements. Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed May 15, 2013 6:31 pm

After retiring against Granolers today, Andy Murray has announced that he is not likely to play this year's RG due to back injury.

"I would be very surprised if I was playing in Paris. I need to make a plan as to what I do. I'll chat with the guys tonight and make a plan for the next few days then make a decision on Paris after the next five days. I want to make sure it goes away. It's been a problem since the end of 2011 but it got bad during last year's clay season."

This goes to show one needs to be careful not to push their bodies beyond what they can bear.

Needless to say, Nadal gets an automatic 4th seed. His luck doesn't end, does it?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed May 15, 2013 7:21 pm

But the good thing is that Nadal coudl play Djoko in semi and Fed might only have Ferrer to care about,.....before the FO final.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Interesting read on Lendl-Murray fitness relationship.
I didn't know that Lendl is STILL fitness freak....and he found his soulmate in Andy Murray:
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/05/perfect-fit/47473/#.UbcwdnDRfzI

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:34 pm

He looks a big guy nowadays. I remember the days when his cheeks were so thin they were curving in and you could see his teeth through.

Lendl became very fit but like Federer it was not used to outlast everybody, it was to keep his attacking game at a good and long level.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Tenez wrote:He looks a big guy nowadays. I remember the days when his cheeks were so thin they were curving in and you could see his teeth through.

Lendl became very fit but like Federer it was not used to outlast everybody, it was to keep his attacking game at a good and long level.

And even during his fittest days, Lendl was lean and his legs looked a healthy size. Imagine Murray in those white shorts Ivan used to wear.....Yikes

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Yes they have rugby like legs nowadays. Having said that I think Federer's short in Halle is pretty neat...at least in teh picture I saw on teh ATP site.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2