» This Is What A Feminist Looks Like
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:56 pm by bogbrush

» Race to London
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 pm by naxroy

» Players popularity - What makes it?
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 pm by Tenez

» Asian Swing 2017: Bejing/Tokyo & Shanghai
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:42 pm by luvsports!

» Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One?
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:18 pm by legendkillar

» One of the best match ever?
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 am by Tenez

» Jelena Ostapenko
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:26 pm by Jahu

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Oz open prediction game - Day 10!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oz open prediction game - Day 10!

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:17 am

Daniel wrote:God there is no hope for some of these new players is there?  A guy like raonic with that serve doesn't have the nerve to serve out a tie break?
Maybe the court is too fast for him, exposing his movement.

He plays best when he is relaxed and that happened only in 2-3 points in the whole match!

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 am

Slippy wrote:
Tenez wrote:
Slippy wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
Tenez wrote:Wilander: I can't remember Rafa covering the court as well as he has this week.
Caution: Wilander is the king of hyperbole. Everyone is always playing better than ever, every match.
Wilander is the only "expert" commentator I actively dislike. He talks mindless drivel. McEnroe might change his mind depending on how he feels on the day but at least he makes some sense at the time.
Wilander is of course right on this occsasion. McEnroe is by far the worst, he is just a salesrep for ignorant tennis fans. .
I haven't seen many of Rafa's matches this week, so I can't comment with any certainty. He moved ok against Zverev but I don't remember him looking quicker than ever. I appreciate it suits your agenda though, so of course you agree with him!

It's not my agenda. I also thought players were peaking at 26/27 until my eyes told me to think differently. I noticed in that FO 2009 that Fed despite playing to Soderling had actually better shots (much better shots in fact) than in 2006 and 2007. That's how it started.

Anyway your previous post also confirms it.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:22 am

NITB wrote:
Daniel wrote:God there is no hope for some of these new players is there?  A guy like raonic with that serve doesn't have the nerve to serve out a tie break?

He plays best when he is relaxed and that happened only in 2-3 points in the whole match!

With respect, that's bollocks. What has that got to do with serving a tie break out or serving well in general?  And players like Raonic play better in faster conditions.  Also, you are having it both ways. The other day you are telling us that Nadal plays poorly in faster conditions (he does) and now he doesn't?

Raonic is a bottler.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 am

Also, I have seen Nadal this week and he isn't "faster than ever".  He's just been handed a cake walk draw.  His next opponent is a one handed backhand too (and one of the bottler generation), so that doesn't bode well.

Last edited by Daniel on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 am

NITB wrote:

Yes but it shoudl have put Nadal in more trouble. Rao's problem was in his head....essentially because Nadal played some great points on key points. It made him way too nervous.

This Nadal will be hard to stop in that FO. I still think Murray and Djoko will put him to bed on clay....simply by triring him down.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:26 am

And Nadal hits the ball much flatter too. You do not see those high bouncing loopy shots nearly as much. Sure he makes some more mistakes obviously but his shots are more hurting than anytime in the past.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:27 am

Daniel wrote:
NITB wrote:

With respect, that's bollocks. What has that got to do with serving a tie break out or serving well in general?  And players like Raonic play better in faster conditions.  Also, you are having it both ways. The other day you are telling us that Nadal plays poorly in faster conditions (he does) and now he doesn't?

Raonic is a bottler.

Nadal has adjusted to playing closer to the baseline.
So he jas made a big improvement, certainly not declined!

He is timing the ball well, it shows with his serves, same as with Murray.

The muscle is paying off even for those two, S. Williams, too.

Raonic doesn't have good footwork. Nadal has fantastic footwork.

That's what made the difference today.

Raonic was nervous because he knew he was vulnerable.

When he was relaxed, he was good.

It will take a few years for him to relax, similar to Stan.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:30 am

Tenez wrote:
NITB wrote:

Yes but it shoudl have put Nadal in more trouble. Rao's problem was in his head....essentially because Nadal played some great points on key points. It made him way too nervous.

This Nadal will be hard to stop in that FO. I still think Murray and Djoko will put him to bed on clay....simply by triring him down.

I don't think Murray can. Simply because Nadal is a natural athlete and really moves well on Chatrier.

Nole - no problem, he is the doc for Nadal. So long as he sorts out his private life first.

Now really off to Bristol...Yikes

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:34 am

NITB wrote:
Slippy wrote:Honestly, I don't know. There are various theories but none of them, to me, explain why both genders are seeing this phenomenon. Perhaps it's because travelling now/keeping in contact with families is so much easier that more players are prepared to continue longer to get the financial rewards?
Hehe, interesting. smiley

Not sure Fed and Nadal are playing for the money, Williams sisters either.

I'd go with Tenez's explanation - young generations don't have new technology to break through.

Old plauers are all getting better (the longer you hit the ball, the better the timing), medicine is prolonging their fitness, then there is the experience of years of big stage matches...so it is really tough for young players.

Only the finest talent is able to make any dent, and in a way that is good.
Of course. In the past you had Becker, Agassi and Sampras arriving on the big stage with bigger frames and game they coudl not have developped with wooden racquets. You coudl see McEnroe was still trying to place the ball and taking the ball early but he had to deal with a ball whihc was whacked and not nicely spinned with a heavy wooden racket and a small frame.
This gave the youngsters a huge opportunity to be successful early. Then teh new strings gave that opp to Guga, Nalby, Hewitt etc....
But now...hardly any change for the last 10 years. So nothing replaces the years of experience of hitting with the top players. For the youngsters it;s a bit like training at their club level and then beiung thrown into world stage arena....tough....and teh tougher it is the less likely they will be exposed to the world stage....so a vicious circle.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:53 am

Tenez wrote:And Nadal hits the ball much flatter too. You do not see those high bouncing loopy shots nearly as much. Sure he makes some more mistakes obviously but his shots are more hurting than anytime in the past.
Wait until the SHBH guys come along....

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 am

And to add to that is that Pete, Wilander, Becker, Chang, etc... were winning very early (in their teens) against still youngish slam winners like Lendl, McEnroe, etc.. ....We know now that a teen is very far from his best so it shows that Lendl and McEnroe had to adapt and learn from those youngsters to keep up with them....including adapting to those larger frames.

This is what federer did in 2002.....and then more recently with his bigger frame giving him a much better BH, more power on his serve. But he developped his game with natural gut only and a 85 inch racquet....how can this compare with players who developped their games with Luxilon and a 100inch racquet?

Such a disadvantage!...without mentioning the diet science those youngsters came up with!!!!

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:59 am

bogbrush wrote:
Tenez wrote:And Nadal hits the ball much flatter too. You do not see those high bouncing loopy shots nearly as much. Sure he makes some more mistakes obviously but his shots are more hurting than anytime in the past.

Yep.....you are probably right.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Tenez wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

And he only can get a SHBH'er from now on...

I hope Nadal's results are misleading: Zverev played from too far back, Monfils too, Raonic is a born loser. Even if he'd won the second set, he never could have won in 4 /5 tough sets. Dimitrov is without a doubt Nadal's biggest hurdle to the final. Dimi is fit, plays the big points ultra aggressive, has always played close matches on HC against Nadal and won the last one. Dimi even might be the biggest test for Nadal before he can lift the trophy ..and that's a bad thing

gallery play

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Dimitrov has zero chance, honestly. He cracks up easily.

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Tenez wrote:And to add to that is that Pete, Wilander, Becker, Chang, etc... were winning very early (in their teens) against still youngish slam winners like Lendl, McEnroe, etc.. ....We know now that a teen is very far from his best so it shows that Lendl and McEnroe had to adapt and learn from those youngsters to keep up with them....including adapting to those larger frames.

This is what federer did in 2002.....and then more recently with his bigger frame giving him a much better BH, more power on his serve. But he developped his game with natural gut only and a 85 inch racquet....how can this compare with players who developped their games with Luxilon and a 100inch racquet?

Such a disadvantage!...without mentioning the diet science those youngsters came up with!!!!
Thinking of the new racquet and the backhand, what's your view on their impact on the dreadful match-up that Nadal is for Federer? I've always thought Nadal is more or less exactly what you'd design to negate Federer, but it was always very much about the backhand being noticably weaker and prone to shanks.

I think in any Nadal / Federer match Federer starts with the massive match-up problem but to what extent do you think the faster balls and the larger racquet could combine to offset that?

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:38 pm

bogbrush wrote:Dimitrov has zero chance, honestly. He cracks up easily.
10 straight wins this year...
Hardly had a weak moment this AO

gallery play

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lydian on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:04 pm

I'll throw in my 2p here. Federer in my opinion made tactical errors playing Nadal, he sat too far back on court, allowing the shots to his SHBH to rear up - and trying to play that back via 90" racquet and Eastern grip was always going to be difficult. For some reason Federer was stubborn in changing his tactics pre-2011/12. Since then they haven't really played that much so hard to see how things lie recently. Indeed more recently Federer has taken to standing up the court more, using SABR, taking the ball earlier to cut out angles, save his legs, get to the net earlier and use his innate timing skills. I'll be interested to see if he decides to use his new found early-ball approach and really step in when playing Nadal next time, to take time away and his bigger racquet will help too. There is no reason why he cant handle Nadal's FHs (Wawrinka handles them pretty well off the same grip) - he just needs to stop himself getting pushed back, playing to Nadal's hands. Of course lets see....Nadal isn't standing still either so will be interesting to see if they both have any different approaches from the other 30+ matches.

Lydian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:10 pm

didnt see the nadal/raonic match... gave raonic a far better chance to beat nadal then dimitrov

Veejay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Lydian wrote:I'll throw in my 2p here. Federer in my opinion made tactical errors playing Nadal, he sat too far back on court, allowing the shots to his SHBH to rear up - and trying to play that back via 90" racquet and Eastern grip was always going to be difficult. For some reason Federer was stubborn in changing his tactics pre-2011/12. Since then they haven't really played that much so hard to see how things lie recently. Indeed more recently Federer has taken to standing up the court more, using SABR, taking the ball earlier to cut out angles, save his legs, get to the net earlier and use his innate timing skills. I'll be interested to see if he decides to use his new found early-ball approach and really step in when playing Nadal next time, to take time away and his bigger racquet will help too. There is no reason why he cant handle Nadal's FHs (Wawrinka handles them pretty well off the same grip) - he just needs to stop himself getting pushed back, playing to Nadal's hands. Of course lets see....Nadal isn't standing still either so will be interesting to see if they both have any different approaches from the other 30+ matches.
Yes, there is.
Hitting an ascending ball (Fed's tactic) is more difficult and risky than hitting a less lively ball from 3 yards behind the baseline. The thing is Stan has the power to hit winners from 3 yards behind the baseline (consistantly) and Fed not..
Fed's only choice is not getting into that situation. But he didn't manage that well very often.

gallery play

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofDeath on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Milos is such a boring servebot no wonder he went out so softly. Grigor on the other hand is looking focused and poses more of a challenge this year, could be his time to shine.

AceofDeath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lydian on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:40 pm

Yeah but how does Fed avoid that situation?
At the end of the day he has talent/timing to hit early balls on the FH side and has been prepared to spray the ball wide at times, I think he just has to commit to a similar tactic on the BH side, and yes make more errors (the risk you mention) but also take time away from Nadal and hurt him when he can. It's not easy for sure but what's the alternative, to get beat the same way as the other 23/24 times?

Agree Grigor is looking refocused and showing the ability we all saw early on. Linking to above, he's a guy who can handle Nadal FH on the SHBH and has an even more continental BH grip than Federer! I still question his big match temperament against the very top guys so we shall see. But out of all the younger players, and he's not so young now, he's the one I see as a future No.1 alongside Zverev Jnr thereafter.

Lydian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:59 pm

Lydian wrote:Yeah but how does Fed avoid that situation?
At the end of the day he has talent/timing to hit early balls on the FH side and has been prepared to spray the ball wide at times, I think he just has to commit to a similar tactic on the BH side, and yes make more errors (the risk you mention) but also take time away from Nadal and hurt him when he can. It's not easy for sure but what's the alternative, to get beat the same way as the other 23/24 times?

Agree Grigor is looking refocused and showing the ability we all saw early on. Linking to above, he's a guy who can handle Nadal FH on the SHBH and has an even more continental BH grip than Federer! I still question his big match temperament against the very top guys so we shall see. But out of all the younger players, and he's not so young now, he's the one I see as a future No.1 alongside Zverev Jnr thereafter.

Frankly: against Nadal in HE-man mode, there's isn't a thing he can do. Hence the mental issues he has against Nadal.
A more sliding ball on a less sticky court would help, plus: a tiring Nadal. But that somehow never happens against Federer. 
When they meet it's in the final stages, and than he obviously gets a fit Nadal. Even under these fast(er) conditions there won't be much of a chance for Federer.
Dimi plays like Federer, but with slight weaker shots (maybe a more consistant BH). The only advantage is: he has less mental scars and has nothing to lose against Nadal. He won't be too nervous. But most of all: he really played great the clutch moments. No one here acknowledges it, but he did. 
For Federer it would be so big, even though he came without any expectations. Fed won't sleep the night before he plays against Nadal.

gallery play

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lydian on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Fair comment, Nadal in "HE-MAN" mode is pretty unstoppable for most guys to be fair. And yes Fed doesn't tend to tire out Nadal so much, maybe because the rallies are on average shorter. Let's see though, would be great to see the match, even as a neutral. Nadal still has a little bit of time to get another biggie but probably not Fed so I wouldn't begrudge him bowing out on a high (although can't see him retiring if he did) if he can make it to 18. I've come to really appreciate Federer these past couple of years, who said Leopards (or Lydians) can't change their spots!

I think Dimi can do some damage, it's not a gimme to Nadal at all - Grigor is the underdog here so can swing freely. However, let's see if he gets near the finishing post can he handle clutch to get to the final. That said, Nadal seems more mentally brittle these days...although closing out pretty well at AO.

Lydian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:17 pm

Probably Federers biggest asset is that he no longer acts like he can hang at the back with anyone, never mind Nadal. 
After that, this bigger racquet has a dramatic effect on the backhand. It's way more powerful and there's far fewer shanks. If only he'd done it years previously.....

He's very determined to this method now. Add in the fast balls and you never know. 

The small matter of Stan first though. He's not favorite for that in my book.

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:19 pm

gallery play wrote:
Tenez wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

And he only can get a SHBH'er from now on...

I hope Nadal's results are misleading: Zverev played from too far back, Monfils too, Raonic is a born loser. Even if he'd won the second set, he never could have won in 4 /5 tough sets. Dimitrov is without a doubt Nadal's biggest hurdle to the final. Dimi is fit, plays the big points ultra aggressive, has always played close matches on HC against Nadal and won the last one. Dimi even might be the biggest test for Nadal before he can lift the trophy ..and that's a bad thing

I have not seen Dimi play but he will have to play his best. I found Nadal being very fast on his feet and only volleying can outpace his footwork. In short I think only Federer can beat him.....a fit and fresh federer.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:37 pm

bogbrush wrote:Thinking of the new racquet and the backhand, what's your view on their impact on the dreadful match-up that Nadal is for Federer? I've always thought Nadal is more or less exactly what you'd design to negate Federer, but it was always very much about the backhand being noticably weaker and prone to shanks.

I think in any Nadal / Federer match Federer starts with the massive match-up problem but to what extent do you think the faster balls and the larger racquet could combine to offset that?

Even if their H2H is quite one sided, lots of Fed's losses were very close, including this one in Melbourne in 2009. It's also interesting to see that Fed won their last and only encounter with the bigger frame in Basel 15.

the problem for federer has never been the match up SHBH v Top spin as much as it has been simply a fitness/physical one.

Fed has bagelled nadal on clay a couple of times or won a few sets 6/1. And that with his 90inch racquet. the problem has been to do it long enough cause when you have ran right and left that sweetspot on the 90inch racquet becomes even smaller, hence the shanking.

Having a bigger sweetspot changes everything. it allows to swing freely and therefore increases pace and consistency....this in turn forces Nadal to stand closer to his FH side, opening his BH side a bit more. With the smaller frame Nadal knew Fed had little chance to pass him down the line so he kept protecting his BH leaving a huge side for his FH to do the work.

If fed played Nadal fresh I woudl really fancy his chances be it clay or fast court.....but at the end of 7 bo5? very hard work...but Fed won;t go down without a fight.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:48 pm

gallery play wrote:For Federer it would be so big, even though he came without any expectations. Fed won't sleep the night before he plays against Nadal.
I think he will actually sleep better than Nadal...and he shoudl have 2 nights to recover even.

Nadal has always been the more nervous of the 2.....only when Nadal sees fed finally tire (and shank) that Nadal starts to relax.

If Fed plays fast....Nadal will be the nervous one.....like Murray or Djoko was v Zverev and Dennis respectively.

Anyway, first Fed has to get past Stan and then Dimi will give us good look into either Stan or Fed chances v HE-Man.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:05 pm

I came on here to post one thing but you've already done it.

It was that for all the talk about one sided h2h, so many of the big matches have been very close. Federer simply must make it about tennis strokes and not about running. That's if they play of course!

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:24 pm

NITB wrote:
Daniel wrote:
NITB wrote:

Raonic is a bottler.

Nadal has adjusted to playing closer to the baseline.
So he jas made a big improvement, certainly not declined!

He is timing the ball well, it shows with his serves, same as with Murray.

The muscle is paying off even for those two, S. Williams, too.

Raonic doesn't have good footwork. Nadal has fantastic footwork.

That's what made the difference today.

Raonic was nervous because he knew he was vulnerable.

When he was relaxed, he was good.

It will take a few years for him to relax, similar to Stan.

Dare I say it, but are you saying Nadal is talented as he has been able to adapt his game?  Devil

legendkillar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:27 pm

There are multiple reasons why Fed should win. But you simply can't deny the h2h. Fed even lost in Cincy, with the 98" raquet..
Look, Should they meet the first time on sunday, Fed would have 80% chance to win.  But the history between these two is undeniable. Fed knows, Rafa knows.

Edit: At the end of the day it's all about execution, and Fed has too often failed against NAdal

Anyway, i made my point by now. I'm glad i can enjoy the first semi without knowing for sure Rafa will be the other finalist.

Last edited by gallery play on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

gallery play

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Slippy wrote:So if Rafa wins this, the SF (men and women) will be aged:

36 (Venus)
35 (Fed)
35 (Serena)
34 (L-B)
31 (Stan)
30 (Rafa)
25 (Dimi)
25 (Coco)

Must be the oldest collection of slam SF ever?

Well interesting that on the men's side that the 2 biggest players get taken out and the emerging pack stumble and bottle it.

A Fedal final looks a nailed on certainty.

legendkillar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:41 pm

legendkillar wrote:

36 (Venus)
35 (Fed)
35 (Serena)
34 (L-B)
31 (Stan)
30 (Rafa)
25 (Dimi)
25 (Coco)

Well interesting that on the men's side that the 2 biggest players get taken out and the emerging pack stumble and bottle it.

does anyone think roger can beat nadal this time?
i doubt it

Veejay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Agassi was 35 in his USO 2005 final....wasn;t he? Was only beaten Federer...now himself 35.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Yes he can bean Nadal, just that Dimi will do it for him this time,

Fed knows, and Nadal knows too that Nadal is not the old Nadal, while Fed this AO has been old Fed.

And if Fed goes to Final, he will give it all, just hope that Stan folds in quick 3.

Jahu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:03 pm

Veejay wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

36 (Venus)
35 (Fed)
35 (Serena)
34 (L-B)
31 (Stan)
30 (Rafa)
25 (Dimi)
25 (Coco)

i doubt it

If Federer can force Nadal to play the shorter point game, stands a great chance. However if Nadal plays behind the baseline and draws out the points, those old battle scars will start to appear.

Federer needs to get in his head that this Nadal is beatable. Nadal will be just as nervous.

legendkillar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lydian on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 pm

The Fed that played and schooled Berdych can for sure beat Nadal. This is a quicker court and Federer is serving well. Most of Fedal matches in past were arguably on slower courts where Fed tried to out-ralley him. I think you would see Fed being ultra aggressive on Sunday should they meet, so who knows what may happen with that change of tactic. We've seen Fed destroy Nadal on a faster court before back at WTF a few years back. It's not impossible by any stretch. 

Anyway...it's moot right now because Stan is a beast of a player these days who gets stronger the nearer he gets to the title. Both guys can fall at the semi hurdle.

Good point re Agassi 05 too, he was good enough to win at 35.

Lydian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Yeah, I can see Stan giving them both a hiding, then we all look quite foolish!

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:32 pm

legendkillar wrote:
Veejay wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

36 (Venus)
35 (Fed)
35 (Serena)
34 (L-B)
31 (Stan)
30 (Rafa)
25 (Dimi)
25 (Coco)

i doubt it

If Federer can force Nadal to play the shorter point game, stands a great chance. However if Nadal plays behind the baseline and draws out the points, those old battle scars will start to appear.

Federer needs to get in his head that this Nadal is beatable. Nadal will be just as nervous.
it will be an easy win for rafael nadal..all he will need to do is just give roger enough rope to hang himself with 
we have serena,venus,rafael and roger in the semi finals...the last time that happened was wimbledon 08,thats over 8 years ago.. ( pretty much a generation) isnt that bizarre,who would have thought they'd even still be playing let alone be the ones contending for the title

Veejay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Ok. I have just watched Dimi for the first time this year...and I can tell you he does not stand a chance versus Nadal. His game is in fact quite similar to Nadal's...just that he has a weaker BH and FH and not as good mouvement!

He is unbeaten this year cause he has probably not played any good player.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:33 pm

He was lucky IstomIn ran out of energy, until then he was clearly losing. Nadal will be planning for Sunday.

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:41 am

Tenez wrote:Ok. I have just watched Dimi for the first time this year...and I can tell you he does not stand a chance versus Nadal.
Given that you were pretty sure that Zverev would beat Nadal, this is encouraging news!

summerblues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:52 am

3SHBHs and... Rafa.  Makes you want to cry Sad

Rafa has to be the favorite now but even so, I also kind of agree with GP that Dimi might have a chance.

I only saw bits of the AO so far - from Nadal only the first two sets against Zverev and the second set (from 3:3 on) against Rao.  From Dimi, only the first set against Goffin.  Based on that, my take is:

Rafa is not playing that much better than he has been playing the last couple of years.  He is still making many uncalled-for nervous looking errors.  Remember, he has been playing like a top-10 player all along, so it is not like this kind of result was totally out of question.  Raonic was useless in what I saw yesterday, yet he almost took the set.

Dimi, on the other hand, is playing better than he has been playing the last couple of years.  To me he is looking about as good as he did when he reached Wimbledon SF.  Not better though.

So, Dimi near his top form vs somewhat shaky Rafa.  I still give it to Rafa, but not by much.

If it is Federer vs Rafa in the final, there is only one winner, and he is not named Roger.  Stan might have a chance if he is playing really well (and if he gets there).

summerblues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 am

gallery play wrote:I'm glad i can enjoy the first semi without knowing for sure Rafa will be the other finalist.
So you are an optimist.  I, on the other hand, am sad that I cannot enjoy the first semi knowing for sure Rafa will not be the other finalist.

summerblues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:00 am

summerblues wrote:
Tenez wrote:Ok. I have just watched Dimi for the first time this year...and I can tell you he does not stand a chance versus Nadal.
Given that you were pretty sure that Zverev would beat Nadal, this is encouraging news!

yep but that was before I saw Nadal.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:45 am

Fed looking good for now.

Stan still warming up.

Jahu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:45 am

probably the best volleyer ever as well.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:53 am

Fed starting to choke BP's now and serve not so good.

Jahu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:56 am

I think this Stan can beat Nadal.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:14 am

Thats the problem, one wants Fed to win, and then him losing from Nadal would be tragic, and one also knows that Stan can crush Nadal.

Jahu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:26 am

7:5 Fed, acceptable play.

Jahu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content