Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One?

+8
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
Jahu
gallery play
Daniel
luvsports!
Tenez
Veejay
noleisthebest
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who Is Going To Be The New Number One?

Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 4

Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One?

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:09 am

Jahu wrote:Well new rankings in, Fed after 734 weeks is out of Top 10.
 734 weeks in top-10  Applause Applause . That will take some beating...

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One?

Post by Slippy Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:Ahh .. it was Federer's 2003 wimbledon victory... the highest see he faced was #5 Roddick..
Three of Sampras' Wimbledon wins came without facing a top 10 player. It's only in the days of the big 4 when it's almost unheard of.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:33 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
Jahu wrote:Well new rankings in, Fed after 734 weeks is out of Top 10.
 734 weeks in top-10  Applause Applause . That will take some beating...
Second to Connors - 788 weeks. Pretty confident Fed would have passed that but for the injury.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:34 am

If he starts back January, im sure he can add another 52 weeks, and then just another 3 weeks on 2018!!

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:37 am

788 is consecutive weeks (as is Fed's 734), so no chance he could break that one now.

Total non-consecutive weeks is 816 weeks for Connors and 744 for Fed- so 83 more weeks needed.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:39 am

Ah sorry, did not calculate the consecutive.

SO if Fed gives it a go with a full 2017 and part-time 2018, he would get somehow to that 816.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:12 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:When was the last time a mens singles slam winner didn't have to beat any of the top-4 seeds en-route to the title?

Nothing comes to mind except Murray's wimble 2016 victory.
Nadal....When exactly I don't remember....but sure will check later.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:20 am

Tenez wrote:
raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:When was the last time a mens singles slam winner didn't have to beat any of the top-4 seeds en-route to the title?

French 10

Fed also did so in his Oz Open wins in 06, 07 and 10.

Basically, it happens quite frequently.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:22 am

Tenez wrote:

Yeah Right.. I can remember RG 2010...

was it also Wimbledon 2010?? time to check it.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:22 am

Wim 2010 he beat Murray.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:24 am

Slippy wrote:
Tenez wrote:

French 10

Right.. Thumbs Up

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:36 am

Slippy wrote:
Tenez wrote:

French 10

Right.. Thumbs Up

Not to Djokovic.
He really earnt all his slams the hard way.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:09 pm

Not ALL, but most.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:00 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Slippy wrote:
Tenez wrote:

French 10

Right.. Thumbs Up

Not to Djokovic.
He really earnt all his slams the hard way.
Agreed. Will be interesting to see how he comes back next year. I expect him to win at least a couple more slams but the failure to win the last two I think makes it unlikely he will now get to 17.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 pm

OK, here we go again: who will be the next number one?

First of all this year: i'm sure Federer will only play Basel and London, because the top spot is beyond his control. He'll only play Paris too if Nadal skips, well , basically all of it. But with Nadal we know he's only injured when it suits his agenda so don't count on it. 
Federer can't hardly narrow the gap next year, he already carries all the big points before the clay season, so he basically needs Nadal to fail big at RG. Fat chance.

I think we have to wait at least until next years USO for Nadal to lose his position. If i had to put money on it, i still would pick Djoko.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Nadal has a good chance for sure to keep his number 1 spot late, especially if Federer collapses from now on.

But Nadal has a lot to defend even before the clay season. If Federer is within 500points on January first, an early loss from Nadal at the AO could crown fed as the next numer 1 if he reaches the AO final for instance.

However Fed will have too much to defend to have a chance to keep it for much longer.....unless Nadal collapses too in spring 18.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Just saw this interesting stat:

Federer got his 10th career win over a World No. 1. It was his third such win over Nadal, having also beaten the Spaniard when he was No. 1 in the finals of Madrid in 2009 and the ATP World Tour Finals in 2010. The other seven wins came against Djokovic (five times), Hewitt (once) and Roddick (once).

I thought he'd've had more wins over number ones over the years, but then again, he himself was number kne for so long.
I wonder what Nadal's and Nole's numbers are there...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:48 am

Federer will be next n1.  Almost sure of it.  In fact, he still has a chance of doing it this year.  Nadal is defending enormous points after this year, and Fed will have an entire clay season to pick up some, if he so chooses.  And I think he'll give it a push (if he doesn't retire).  Nadal has it all to do to keep that WN1.

But with Nadal we know he's only injured when it suits his agenda so don't count on it. 

Thumbs Up

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 am

Realistically, Zverev is now the most likely to be the next number 1. He has age going for him and he is one who I am sure will be able to handle Nadal very soon. I'd say Zverev's draw is going to be key from now on.

Let's see whether he is spread equally between Fed and Nadal.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 am

Daniel wrote:Federer will be next n1.  Almost sure of it.  In fact, he still has a chance of doing it this year.  Nadal is defending enormous points after this year, and Fed will have an entire clay season to pick up some, if he so chooses.  And I think he'll give it a push (if he doesn't retire).  Nadal has it all to do to keep that WN1.

But with Nadal we know he's only injured when it suits his agenda so don't count on it. 

Thumbs Up
Federer would be mad to play a clay season.

A repeat of this years plan, minus the Summer back injury, will do fine. #1 would be loverly but it's now extremely unlikely by year end, and after that he has to win a Slam to stand still, so even more unlikely.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:07 am

Tenez wrote:Realistically, Zverev is now the most likely to be the next number 1. He has age going for him and he is one who I am sure will be able to handle Nadal very soon. I'd say Zverev's draw is going to be key from now on.

Let's see whether he is spread equally between Fed and Nadal.

I can't get my head round the fact he is number four/five.
Ouch ouch ouch.

I really don't like his tennis and him as an image on the court.
He is worse than all RR put together in some way as he picked up the worst of all of them.

And all he needed to do is look in his family and how his brother plays...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 am

He is actually the clear number 3 already....or will be in a few weeks unless Cilic does something special from now on.

But I certainly cannot see Cilic as number 1. It will take lots of time for Djoko and Murray to catch up. I personally doubt they will be number 1 again.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:53 am

yes, he is the most consistent.

Hopefully, he falls off the radar with his game like Coric and more talented players take over.

No idea what is going on with Nole.
He is posing for sponsors atm, alluding he is working on his fitness.

We'll have to wait and see.His only hope is to flatten his FH and if Agassi can help him there, that could bring him to the top.

If he does have an injured elbow, he can't go back to his old game.
I mean, he can but he'll be very beatable like in 2017.

As for Murray, he is the same as Nadal. He could have one or two more very physical seasons and be successfully no problemo I think.

And obviously, we still have Federer for at least one more year!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:55 am

I'd like to see him fall off the radar only after the 3 roadrunners disappear. I see him as a good opp for Fed to retrieve his number one spot as I think he has the game to hurt the those 3...but not so much v Fed.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:01 pm

We'll see how things go...

I just don't see Zverev as dangerous for some reason.
He is too slow for Nadal.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:08 pm

Simonwithbigserve could be dangerous to Nadal, he matches up well, but I don’t think he has the extra gear if any top player really ups his game.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:34 pm

I can't see Djokovic failing to be at least #3 even if Federer and Nadal somehow stay above him. There just isn't the talent to come anywhere near a fit Djokovic.

The same goes for Murray except I suspect he might not get back to peak.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:18 pm

From Nadal? You'd have to say Federer has the best opportunity. Djokovic for me is only other one who has it in him to put a run of tournament victories together consecutively.

It's pretty dire after that. Hence I see Nadal holding on to it for a while yet.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2