» This Is What A Feminist Looks Like
Today at 5:46 pm by DECIMA

» Any rugby fans?
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 pm by Tenez

» Nadal whines over surface match ups with Federer in 2017
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:41 pm by Jahu

» The doping program joke of the ITF!!!
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 am by legendkillar

» Anyone want to swap a day ticket on Monday for Sunday??
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 am by Tenez

» So what's your projections for 2018?
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 am by summerblues

» Race to London
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:27 am by Tenez

» Baby WTF - Next-Gen ATP Finals 2017
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:32 am by noleisthebest

November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The New Era Is Upon Us

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The New Era Is Upon Us

Post by Daniel on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:43 pm

It's taken far too long, but the new era is being ushered in.  Things are changing.  A lot of younger players are also finally breaking though.

Kyrgios (21): Likely multiple slam winner and world number 1.
Zverev (19): Showing excellent form and ability at 19. Likely slam winner.
Vesely (22): Another younger player looking very promising.
Pouille (22)
Tomic (23): Has the ability and the time to become better.  Don't rule him out.
Theim (22) Apart from Kyrgios, this is the most promising player coming through to his best form. I reckon he will be WN1 at some point.
Raonic (25): Showing signs of hitting his peak.  Looking very dangerous.  Definitely should win a slam at some point.
Goffin (25): Possible slam winner.  Definitely has the ability.
Johnson (26): Looks to be hitting his peak.

There are also a few British players coming up the rankings.

On the flip side:

Murray and Djokovic are approaching 30 - and entering steep decline from this point on.  Federer is virtually finished, and this is his very last chance for Slam 18 and maybe Singles Olympic gold..  I've suspected for 2 years that this year will be his last.  I think he will retire this year. Nadal is toast.  The old guard that battled with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are also now aging and mostly in their 30s.  The likes of Wawrinka are heading for the door.

Del Potro still has time to rise to the top again but cannot have any more injuries.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The New Era Is Upon Us

Post by Tenez on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:28 pm

FedererKing wrote:It's taken far too long, but the new era is being ushered in.  Things are changing.  A lot of younger players are also finally breaking though.

Pouille (22)
Theim (22) Apart from Kyrgios, this is the most promising player coming through to his best form. I reckon he will be WN1 at some point.
Raonic (25): Showing signs of hitting his peak.  Looking very dangerous.  Definitely should win a slam at some point.

On the flip side:

Murray and Djokovic are approaching 30 - and entering steep decline from this point on.  Federer is virtually finished, and this is his very last chance for Slam 18 and maybe Singles Olympic gold..  I've suspected for 2 years that this year will be his last.  I think he will retire this year. Nadal is toast.  The old guard that battled with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are also now aging and mostly in their 30s.  The likes of Wawrinka are heading for the door.

Del Potro still has time to rise to the top again but cannot have any more injuries.

yeah...shame Raonic and Goffin are now entering their decline stage! ..according to you! Winking

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:33 pm

Johnson? You high>?

luvsports!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:20 pm

Tenez wrote:
FedererKing wrote:It's taken far too long, but the new era is being ushered in.  Things are changing.  A lot of younger players are also finally breaking though.

Pouille (22)

On the flip side:

yeah...shame Raonic and Goffin are now entering their decline stage! ..according to you! Winking

Physical decline is extremely slow until around 28 (I linked you to a number of studies before that show degradation has already started by 25).  That means players peak at different ages (usually between 19-28) - but it's rapidly downhill for nearly all players 29+.  Your attempts to make me look inconsistent are desperate.  Understand that this isn't an exact science because of the massive number of variables involved, but there is an overall trend - and it's very clear. Nearly all players perform worse 30-38 than 20-28.  That's a fact.

All of the players above are well within physical prime ages - and more importantly - peak ages.  They won't be anywhere near as good at 35 than they are at 25. As much as you want to delude yourself of the opposite. The new generation is as I said it would be - not as you said it would be.

Last edited by FedererKing on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:25 pm; edited 4 times in total

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:21 pm

luvsports! wrote:Johnson? You high>?

I said he looks to be hitting his peak. You disagree?

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Also, Tenez, you'll note all the players suddenly playing well are in their early-mid 20s - not their 30s.  Oh dear, looks like you were wrong again.

You've consistently brought up the current top 10 ages as some sort of argument - and now that younger players are coming through, you are desperately trying to move the goalposts.  Well, sorry, but you can't do that.  Your whole crazy argument around these parts has been that players prime ages are 30+ and that the trend of players in their early-mid 30s dominating the top 10 is the new norm.  It clearly isn't. We are in the middle of a transition period - and the 30+ players are on their way out.

Got any explanation? Just say "I admit I was wrong" and stop prolonging your suffering.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:29 pm

But you were saying that players peak at 25, FK.

That aside, of all the players in your list, I like Tomic most, I mean he is the most talented.

Of course, he is a lazy Balkanite with not much between the ears...so unfortunately a terrible waste.

But despite all that, I like watching him play...such easy power, great clean flat shots, good hands..he has every shot in the book and despite being a baseliner plays instinctive tennis.

I really hope Hewitt kicks his backside into the gym and makes his feet lighter.

Of course, his head will always remain the same, unfortunately...

All this aside, really liking fiery Pouille even more after today's incident with Delpo.
Will try to dig it out on Youtube.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Here it is...didn't see the match, but fancy Delpo saying: "Shut up!" to his young opponent...great Pouile spoke out and and demolished Delpo in the final set- 6:1!

Gasquet would have just meekly been retaping his grip in the same situation...

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:36 pm

No.... I wasn't.  The argument has never been about a specific number.  Players peak from 19-28 nearly always.  But their physical prime is a matter of scientific fact and is placed by most studies as 21 (this is an average but will not sway much). The degradation is slow until around 28-30 and is then rapidly downhill (rapidly here is relative to professionals).  We see this in virtually every sport.  Peak is not prime.  Prime is part of biological fact and science.  Most players' peak will generally be at an end by 29, but it is based on a ton of factors.  It's very simple.

29+ Players will generally start to lose a lot more. This is due mainly to physical degradation (this includes reaction times). Within the next 5 years they are generally retired.

19-28.  Players are usually at their peak or near their peak.  The effect of any degradation is very small.

This is an overwhelming fact based on evidence. There are exceptions - but it's few to none.

It is not a coincidence that Federer at 34 finally ended up missing a Slam. The body's ability to tolerate and sustain minor or major injuries is greatly impaired past 30.  The effect of degradation is massive relative to 21 when you are playing at pro level.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:40 am

FK...looks like you have changed your mind! Good all this discussion was not in vain!

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:24 am

Haven't changed my mind at all. I have consistently told you that players are not in their peak or prime post 30 - and the above has been stated around 5 times or more on this forum, You keep ignoring it. Now I think you;re just trolling to disguise a lost argument smiley

I am looking forward to your age evaluation of the top 10 in the next 2 years.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:45 am

FedererKing wrote:

I said he looks to be hitting his peak.  You disagree?

Sure but he's 26. Two calendar years younger than Murray and Djoko. 
You could say the same for Cuevas (30yo) who reached his highest ranking this year or Agut (28yo) or Sousa (27) or Ramos (28) or Berankis (26) etc

luvsports!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay on Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:50 pm

its not a new era until one of those players breaks through and wins a major.the also needs to be a "changing of the guard" for it to be legitimate

Veejay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Veejay wrote:its not a new era until one of those players breaks through and wins a major.the also needs to be a "changing of the guard" for it to be legitimate

That isn't how it works. A new era comes about when many new players start to rise the rankings replacing the old guard - and that's happening.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:05 pm

luvsports! wrote:
FedererKing wrote:

I said he looks to be hitting his peak.  You disagree?

Sure but he's 26. Two calendar years younger than Murray and Djoko. 
You could say the same for Cuevas (30yo) who reached his highest ranking this year or Agut (28yo) or Sousa (27) or Ramos (28) or Berankis (26) etc

None of those made this far at Wimbledon at 26 years old?

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:55 pm

Well Agut made it to Aus r16 at 25. So what? 
He is average Johnson.

luvsports!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Anyway all I said was he is hitting his peak and he is smiley

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Seeing how fit and dedicated Murray looked today, it may be a while before the " new guard" takes over.

But they are making their names known, so that's a start.

Tennis is not as bad as so many are complaining these days.

It's just evolving. It's better than 5 years ago.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:50 pm

"That isn't how it works. A new era comes about when many new players start to rise the rankings replacing the old guard - and that's happening."

yes those are all up and cming players and the next generation of tennis players but it wont be called an era until its named after one of them and for that to happen,one of them will have to start dominating the game

Veejay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:53 pm

There is Federer's era...and then there is " the rest".

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:43 pm

seeing that federer is still playing and made it to 2 grand slam finals last year its still very much the federer era whihc djokovic and murray are a part of
we have been talking about tomic and dimitrov  for years now
i dont see anything significant to suggest that thers a changing of the guard anywhere from any of the players mentioned
dimitrov made a semi fina at wimbledon 2 years ago and has done nothing since

Veejay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Veejay wrote:...

That's exactly what it is. This new generation is probably "better" than Murray and Djoko.....but they are not nearly as professional in terms of training, off court work and focus. I think here the mind probably makes a huge difference. Murray and Djoko wanted it more. So they put everyting on their side to succeed (legal and most likely illegal).

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Veejay wrote:seeing that federer is still playing and made it to 2 grand slam finals last year its still very much the federer era whihc djokovic and murray are a part of
we have been talking about tomic and dimitrov  for years now
i dont see anything significant to suggest that thers a changing of the guard anywhere from any of the players mentioned

Federer hasn't won a Slam since 2012... it clearly isn't his time.  In fact, the only Slam he is managing to have any realistic chance in is this one. And at nearly 35 years of age the only reason for that is he is the greatest.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay on Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:34 pm

the day federer retires,that will be the end of an era

Veejay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content