Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open

5 posters

Go down

federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open Empty Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open

Post by Daniel Thu May 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Roger Federer has withdrawn from the French Open, bringing to an end a consecutive run of 65 appearances (a record). His current total of Slams entered stands at 67 - second, behind Fabrice Santoro (70).

Also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/36336722

Daniel

Back to top Go down

federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open Empty Re: Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open

Post by Veejay Thu May 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Massively disappointed by this
What's going on with Roger?? All these withdrawals are starting to look like he is serving I silent ban
If he misses Wimbledon then I would say something is definitely up

Veejay

Back to top Go down

federer - Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open Empty Re: Roger Federer Withdraws from the French Open

Post by Daniel Thu May 19, 2016 8:02 pm

He's old. It's that simple, really.  And with age come more injuries and longer recovery times.  It isn't easy playing top level tennis at almost 35.  He's made the right decision - there is absolutely no point him entering his weakest slam while still not fully recovered.  This will give him a MUCH better chance of winning Wimbledon.

As for silent ban, come on - give it a rest.  He's just had surgery. This is the real world, not Hollywood get-healed-quick-immediately-land. If he misses Wimbledon, it won't be due to any conspiracy fantasy - it will be because of age.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Thu May 19, 2016 8:20 pm

It was meant to be a joke,I know that his age is catching up with him :p
Nonetheless he will be greatly missed
I guess this is a preview of what's inevitable,the day Roger plays no more Sad

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu May 19, 2016 8:30 pm

There is no indication of a joke in your post, so that wasn't my fault Winking

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu May 19, 2016 8:33 pm

I think stopping play for 2 months after surgery has cancelled all the work he had done on his back. With the back, if you don't keep 'moving' it goes backward.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu May 19, 2016 8:33 pm

I think stopping play for 2 months after surgery has cancelled all the work he had done on his back. With the back, if you don't keep 'moving' it goes backward.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu May 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Wise decision.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 20, 2016 8:26 am

FedererKing wrote:He's old. .....

You bet! He has been declining for the last 10 years according to you! Big Grin

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri May 20, 2016 11:08 am

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri May 20, 2016 11:09 am

Guess he can get ready now for Halle/W, little USA/USO, Basel, and WTF if he can qualify.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 20, 2016 11:25 am

Many players have had their career shorten because of the back. Considering he has had this problem for years I cannot see how this is going to get better now.

My only hope is that we know that he won his last GS with a back problem.....but that was 4 years ago and Djoko was not nearly as strong as now.

He got very close to add 2 GS last year..shame he had to face Djoko at the end of the tournament. I woudl have fancied his chances a bit more had he played him fresh.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Tenez wrote:I think stopping play for 2 months after surgery has cancelled all the work he had done on his back. With the back, if you don't keep 'moving' it goes backward.

Yes, that makes sense.

I wonder what brought him the original back injury in the first place.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Jahu wrote:Guess he can get ready now for Halle/W, little USA/USO, Basel, and WTF if he can qualify.
If he fixes his back, I think he has a decent chance at Wimbledon.
He looked really fit and strong in Rome.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri May 27, 2016 7:06 am

Tenez wrote:

He hasn't been at his peak since 2007, but remained within a very good standard and fitness until around 2009. No player of Fed's caliber wins more at 30-34 than 24-28.  And you need to accept that. Stop making yourself look ridiculous.  You were telling us all last year that Federer was at the peak of his abilities.  All the evidence just says you are talking nonsense. And you also claimed age doesn't affect fitness until the 40s... yeah, that's why Federer has just missed his first slam this century.

The pattern is I am right, you are wrong.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 27, 2016 8:02 am

FedererKing wrote:
Tenez wrote:

He hasn't been at his peak since 2007, but remained within a very good standard and fitness until around 2009. No player of Fed's caliber wins more at 30-34 than 24-28.  And you need to accept that. Stop making yourself look ridiculous.  You were telling us all last year that Federer was at the peak of his abilities.  All the evidence just says you are talking nonsense. And you also claimed age doesn't affect fitness until the 40s... yeah, that's why Federer has just missed his first slam this century.

Didn't he play in two fastest slam finals, wtf final?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 27, 2016 10:07 am

FedererKing wrote:
Tenez wrote:

FK - do you realise that 8 of the 10 top players have entered their 30th year? Doesn't that tell you something? And the only 2 who are younger (25+), Nishi and Raonic, have certainly not peaked but are starting to enter their best years.

http://live-tennis.eu/

So there is not a single player in the top 10 to back up your absurd theory that players peak at 25! You are bloody unlucky aren't you?

You are therefore in complete denial and I must say you even sound silly now.

Regarding me saying that I believe players improve after 40 is non-sense. I have never said it and this proves you have no more amunition.

Federer is injured. End of....and yes at 34 recovering gets harder.  I am not denying that. But we are talking about a 34yo, soon 35 here.....not about someone who declined 10 years ago...according to you. Doh

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Oh and David Mercer just mentioned that 51 players who entered the FO were 30 or over!!!!

"Amazing stat!" he said!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 27, 2016 2:29 pm

Tenez wrote:Oh and David Mercer just mentioned that 51 players who entered the FO were 30 or over!!!!

"Amazing stat!" he said!
Did he elaborate?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 27, 2016 3:02 pm

nope! But that stat alone kills the debate!...the current top 10 player stat nails the coffin!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 27, 2016 3:07 pm

It does.

Which is why it's surprising just about everyone from v2 who posts here disagrees and thinks it's ridiculous that players' skill keeps getting better past 30.

It would be interesting to hear their explanation.
And hopefully it won't be a "weak era" one. Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 27, 2016 4:07 pm

It's a bit more complex actually. You might play better at 32 than 28 but you have more chance to be fit at the end of a slam at 28 than 32.

So though I think a player can play his best at 33/34, he is unlikley to maintain that level over a week or 2.

This is why I think Federer 2015 coudl beat Djoko when fresh but can't do it at the end of a slam.

I however think Fed 2007 woudl stand no chance against Djoko 2015...cause Djoko is twice better now than then.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri May 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Tenez wrote:
FedererKing wrote:
Tenez wrote:

FK - do you realise that 8 of the 10 top players have entered their 30th year? Doesn't that tell you something? And the only 2 who are younger (25+), Nishi and Raonic, have certainly not peaked but are starting to enter their best years.

http://live-tennis.eu/

So there is not a single player in the top 10 to back up your absurd theory that players peak at 25! You are bloody unlucky aren't you?

You are therefore in complete denial and I must say you even sound silly now.

Regarding me saying that I believe players improve after 40 is non-sense. I have never said it and this proves you have no more amunition.

Federer is injured. End of....and yes at 34 recovering gets harder.  I am not denying that. But we are talking about a 34yo, soon 35 here.....not about someone who declined 10 years ago...according to you. Doh

None of that dismisses the point I made. Try again.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down