Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Grass - 2017
Today at 2:54 am by Daniel

» Fight for #1
Yesterday at 9:24 pm by Tenez

» U.S Election
Yesterday at 5:06 pm by Veejay

» The GOAT conversation will reboot...
Yesterday at 1:11 pm by Daniel

» Why test sportspeople for cocaine?
Yesterday at 1:06 pm by Daniel

» I can't fucking stand Zverev's game
Yesterday at 12:29 pm by ...

» Wimbledon 2017 Talk
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:48 pm by legendkillar

» Grass Season - Expectations
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:55 am by DECIMA

» Cristiano Ronaldo statue
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 pm by Veejay

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum


Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by DECIMA on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:26 pm

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/tennis/federer-i-knew-from-the-start-that-nadal-would-become-better-than-me_sto5323207/story.shtml

Federer opens up in a candid interview:

"I have a lot of talent but not like Tiger Woods, Rafael Nadal and Martina Hingis."

Very interesting interview, some comments on Hingis as well as Nadal.

DECIMA

Posts : 4097
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by Tenez on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:33 pm

If he thought he were above them, he would not be.

Rafa, Martina and Woods know he is in a different league.

Tenez

Posts : 16011
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by truffin1 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:08 am

Surprised you as a so called tennis journalist wouldn't look at the actual full interview for context and is instead going by this writer who is basically making up words out of Feds mouth and potraying things he did say out of context.

Fed does not say ever that he knew nadal would be "better" than him. The writer portrays that as a quote and it was never said which renders the writer unethical and shoddy.

The talent part is in context as to how fed felt as a teenager compared to what he saw from Hingis and nadal at a young age. Fed had his mental doubts and issues and feels it took him longer to harness his talent then they did. He's talked about this plenty of times.

truffin1

Posts : 861
Join date : 2012-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by DECIMA on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:28 am

Excuse me, I never quoted the title of the eurosport piece, and just said on 606v2 that it's a clear misinterpretation, Federer said he knew Nadal would at one point overtake him in the rankings but that's not the same as him saying Nadal would become better. I agree with you on the title being dodgy.

However from all the news outlets I have seen, the line about talent was a direct quote, and all news sites reporting on it had the same exact quote. What you're claiming is that he was talking about harnessing talent, which is a different affair and contradicts the quote. If you have access to the full transcript, feel free to link it so we can see whether he contradicts the quote at all.

DECIMA

Posts : 4097
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by truffin1 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:36 am

The article and full interview is in print that I read. The talent quote is in context too how good he felt he was as a teenager and how he never dreamed he would eventually reach the heights he did and says how amazing it is to see someone like Hingis and nadal be so good so young-- because he didn't know how to harness what he had that quick. The author is taking a statement in the middle of a larger point and applying it to something it wasn't meant to- therefore giving it a different meaning and context.

Sorry- I'm a little sensitive today to this type journalism as I was misquoted severely in a local newspaper story this week. Shouldn't take it out on you.

truffin1

Posts : 861
Join date : 2012-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by DECIMA on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:50 am

truffin1 wrote:
Sorry- I'm a little sensitive today to this type journalism as I was misquoted severely in a local newspaper story this week.  Shouldn't take it out on you.  
No worries truffin, and yes I don't like misquoting in journalism either. As for this eurosport example, there was even a study which shows that above 50% of people read the headline rather than the whole text of an article, which makes this sort of dodgy journalism even worse.

truffin1 wrote:The article and full interview is in print that I read. The talent quote is in context too how good he felt he was as a teenager and how he never dreamed he would eventually reach the heights he did and says how amazing it is to see someone like Hingis and nadal be so good so young--  because he didn't know how to harness what he had that quick.  The author is taking a statement in the middle of a larger point and applying it to something it wasn't meant to-  therefore giving it a different meaning and context.
That's interesting, without the full transcript I see that it's entirely possible he was talking about both what he perceived as a gap in talent, as well as the ability to harness it ?
If you can give some more quotes, I haven't bought the magazine, so that could help me analyse the further context too. Cheers

My OP here was slightly tongue in cheek in response to Tenez's provocative claims about Nadal, but I do think there are some important points raised:
-Firstly Federer who is one of the most intelligent tennis analysts really does rate Nadal and his talent
-Also how Federer sees himself, he is very self-confident, but not complacent

DECIMA

Posts : 4097
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by Tenez on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:59 am

Didn't Nadal say he was not as talented as Federer (and Gasquet)?

To me whatever they say. they and we all know what is what. No-one is going to say that Federer is more physical than Nadal....likewise only the least objective fans would think Nadal is more talented.

Tenez

Posts : 16011
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by Tenez on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:06 am

Anyway even weird-shot-Djoko is more talented than Nadal.

Tenez

Posts : 16011
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by ... on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:41 am

All I know is that Nole would never say anything like that. Context or no context. Cool

...

Posts : 23873
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by Tenez on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:36 am

noleisthebest wrote:All I know is that Nole would never say anything like that. Context or no context.  Cool

I think he said it a few times already.

Tenez

Posts : 16011
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by ... on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:29 am

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:All I know is that Nole would never say anything like that. Context or no context.  Cool

I think he said it a few times already.

Yes...like here Winking:


...

Posts : 23873
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by Daniel on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:45 pm

I know this is hard for you to grasp, but let me explain it to you again:

Aus Open 4-1
Wimbledon 7-2
Us Open 5-2
Tour Finals 6-0

N1: 302 weeks

Ahead of Nadal in rankings at 34.5

What aren't you comprehending?  NAdal is just a brute force player who is now being found out because he has no B game.

It also wouldn't matter if Federer did say that (which he didn't) - you see it's evidence that matters - not one person's opinion - not even the guy in question.  Just stop embarrassing yourself with these silly articles.

Daniel

Posts : 2437
Join date : 2013-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by Tenez on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:53 pm

FedererKing wrote:

What aren't you comprehending?  NAdal is just a brute force player who is now being found out because he has no B game.

That's not true. He only has a B game!

Tenez

Posts : 16011
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by DECIMA on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:07 pm

Tenez wrote:
FedererKing wrote:

What aren't you comprehending?  NAdal is just a brute force player who is now being found out because he has no B game.

That's not true. He only has a B game!
Haha !

DECIMA

Posts : 4097
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer opens up: I am not as talented as Nadal

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum