Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions)

5 posters

Go down

Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) Empty Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions)

Post by Tenez Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:39 pm

Fernando Verdasco (ESP) v Dudi Sela (ISR)                                                              
Andrey Kuznetsov (RUS) v Jeremy Chardy (FRA) [30] 
Gael Monfils (FRA) [23] v Nicolas Mahut (FRA)                                                   
Milos Raonic (CAN) [13] v Tommy Robredo (ESP)
Radek Stepanek (CZE) v Stan Wawrinka (SUI) [4]                                                    
David Ferrer (ESP) [8] v Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)                                                         
Marcel Granollers (ESP) v John Isner (USA) [10]                                                      
Bernard Tomic (AUS) [16] v Simone Bolelli (ITA)
Sam Groth (AUS) v Andy Murray (GBR) [2]

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) Empty Re: Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions)

Post by Tenez Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:00 pm

Fernando Verdasco (ESP)                                                             Andrey Kuznetsov (RUS)
Gael Monfils (FRA) [23]                                                   
Tommy Robredo (ESP)
Stan Wawrinka (SUI) [4]                                                    
David Ferrer (ESP) [8]                                     
John Isner (USA) [10]                                                      
Bernard Tomic (AUS)
Andy Murray (GBR) [2]

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) Empty Re: Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions)

Post by luvsports! Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:24 pm

Verdasco, chardy, monfils, rao, stan, ferrer, isner, tomic, murray

silly goose: verd, chard, monf, robredo, stan, ferrer, isner, tomic, murray

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Verdasco, Kuznetsov, Monfils, Raonic, Wawrinka, Ferrer, Isner, Tomic, Murray

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:05 pm

Verdasco
Chardy
Monfils
Raonic
Wawrinka
Ferrer
Isner
Tomic
Groth

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:15 am

Shit draw for Fed... what little chance he had is gone now for sure.  He's got Dimi > goffin/thiem >  kyrgios / cilic > djokovic / nishikori

Then the final

in all likelihood.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:28 am

yep...that's tough...but they are not grinders so rallies might be shorter and that should work for him.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:34 am

Q. Did you happen to serve particularly well today or is that an aspect of your game you've been working on?
ROGER FEDERER: I think it's a very important part of the game. I think everybody should work on it, to be honest. It's the only shot that we can actually really control. The rest we are reacting to.

And then I thought today I did serve very well. You know, maybe just matched up well with maybe Dolgopolov maybe wasn't seeing it as well. But also conditions are fast during the daytime, so that helps to be able to serve through opponents.

It's also harder to return, clearly. I'm happy I got crucial first break in the first set. I think it was a big set for me. Then second set was the key, really, because it was close for a while. I had missed some chances.

I was keeping it up, you know, serving well, keeping the pressure on, and finally then found the break end of the second.

Q. There was a stage in the third break point up where you were called for the double bounce and the replay clearly showed that you had got to the ball. It's a bit unusual. Has that ever happened before? Can you talk about that?
ROGER FEDERER: I'm not sure if it's happened before, but I wouldn't be surprised. I honestly have no clue how it went. By the way it bounced on the other side, because it had back spin on, I felt there was a chance that maybe it was good, you know.

Hmm. It's a tough call. You know, you feel like if you get it on the second bounce you feel like it would go like a moon ball, or if you push it into the ground it will bounce towards the opponent on the other side.

Then you know like obviously then it didn't work. But the way it went, I felt like maybe I'd gotten there. That's why I kind of finished playing; he stopped playing completely and she had said something. The moment she said she said something, I anyway have to chance to argue the case anymore. Case closed and you move on.

You might get frustrated or not. I chose not to get frustrated.

Q. Alex is a very dangerous player once he gets going and hits amazing groundstrokes. Is that the kind of match and workout you needed to sharpen your own game at this stage of the tournament?
ROGER FEDERER: Possibly. You know, if i keep on wining it was definitely a good thing. Also had to work on defense quite heavily for I'd say for the first two sets. After that, you know, let loose a little bit and was able to hit more freely, which was a good thing. You know, the serving definitely helped.

But, yeah, I mean, I'm a big fan of his game. He's explosive; got a great return, especially on the second serve. He's got all the shots, you know. Just for him managing how to use what at what time, you know.

I'm very pleased with this win. I think it's a tough second round. My opinion, he's better than a lot of the guys who are ranked ahead of him.

So looking ahead, I was not worried about the match, but, you know, I had a lot of respect for it.

Q. It's one thing you did really well was actually your defensive game. Is that something that you have worked on?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I have, as well. The offseason I did put in the hard yards, you know. But then again, I like to work on my strength most of the time, the offensive part of my game, serve and volley, taking the forehand early, you know, using my backhand as a variation.

But of course the defensive part is the base. You also need to have that to be able to play the transition game, which I have played so well throughout my career.

You know, to go from defense to offense in the blink of an eye, it's something I did so well for so many years. It's nice when you can prove it to yourself time and time again.

Q. Andy Murray made comments yesterday suggesting that it was inappropriate and hypocritical that tennis tournaments are being sponsored by betting companies. What's your view on whether or not it's important, with the price fixing background?
ROGER FEDERER: I answered that question the other day. Just check the transcript.

Q. Just some other...
THE MODERATOR: We will move on. Next question, please.

ROGER FEDERER: There is like an 80 -- my press conference last time, it's like a book. So you check that one out.

Q. Not having Stefan around, is it strange when you have a change in your coaching setup?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I have gotten used to Ivan now being on the team for the last sort of month or so. It's not that different anymore like it maybe was at the very beginning.

But it was always very special of course looking up to the player box and seeing Stefan there. Always felt somewhat surreal to have him support me and be there for me. That's why I had a great time with him.

It was his birthday yesterday. Congratulated him for that. Hopefully we can speak next few days and see how he's doing. Of course I miss him. It's normal. He was a great asset on the team. Nicest guy ever.

We had a great time. Looking ahead, I'm excited with Ivan and Severin and the rest of the gang.

Q. What does a coach bring to your game? You don't need to be told to hit certain shots, I imagine. What does a coach bring to the table?
ROGER FEDERER: You know, there is always a different angle or something else you can work on or something that maybe you tend to forget sometimes, as there are so many things to work on and so many things keep changing. The game keeps evolving.

So I think it's important to have an open mind. I said it the other day, as well, you know. I think the support team and everybody involved, you know, they can push with a little bit extra when times get tough sometimes. Or just on a regular day rather than me going through the motions or getting used to something, I shouldn't be doing in practice or in a match, they remind me what to do and motivate me to do it.

Those little extra percent here, 5% overall can make a massive difference when you're talking about trying to win a tournament or not.

Q. For fathers, there is probably nothing more than the future of their children. Now on court today you said that you didn't want your daughters to appear on Rod Laver Arena.
ROGER FEDERER: It's not my only goal. Let's put it that way.

Q. Talk about that. Do you think the circuit is just too competitive? Do you think they would just be in your shadow? What is your thinking about that?
ROGER FEDERER: Don't know. I think it's 40 years on the tennis tour that doesn't excite me, you know, straight. (Laughter.) I think that's what it would be. And they don't necessarily love it the way I did.

So that's why, for me, it's quite obvious that it's not going to happen. Who knows? They are going to tennis lessons because daddy says so because I think it's a good thing for them. Yeah, I mean, I think it's a wonderful place, the tennis tour, otherwise I wouldn't be on it. It's a great sport to learn how to lose, to win, to figure it out, for friendship, discipline, you name it. For hand/eye coordination.

I only think good things about it. I didn't say it in a negative way. I just don't think they will ever be a tennis player who is ever going to play on Rod Laver Arena.

Maybe they will surprise me and one day they will be here and I will be home in the cold and they will be here. Who knows?

Q. So you, sitting in the friends box watching dozens of matches is not something you look forward to?
ROGER FEDERER: Of course it's important. I will support them all the way whatever they want to do, but I don't see myself doing that right now. I'd rather support them in another sport. Go see them be a super skier. That would be exciting.

To go watch tennis matches, I don't know. (Laughter.) As much as I love it now, I'm just not sure what my excitement level will be in 20 years' time from now.

You never know.

Q. You're into the third round for your 16th straight Australian Open. How long can you see yourself competing at this level for?
ROGER FEDERER: Don't know. Time will tell. I think a lot of retired players could still be at this level, too. They just choose not to do it anymore. So it's all in the mind, the body, family, traveling, so many things that are a part of this whole thing.

Yeah, I mean, it's been going very well for me, and I hope to keep it up as long as I choose to play tennis. You know, I mean, it's the least I expect to be in the third round of a slam, obviously, so I'm pumped up, playing well, feeling good.

But there's always a danger, you know. Like last year the third round was the end for me, so I hope to go further this time.

Q. Dimitrov possibly in the next round. What kind of a reference was Brisbane?
ROGER FEDERER: Honestly, Brisbane overall was tough to judge in the sense that I was just playing within myself, trying to sort of get through the matches without too many long rallies.

So it's hard to think back at the matches and think like what went well and what didn't go so well. I think it's more maybe the coaches that can remind me of these things, and I might go back in time when I was feeling actually normal against, like, let's say Grigor.

I think he did well in Sydney, and that definitely also gave him a bit of a lift if he takes the positives out of the tournament, because wasting match point in a final is not a great thing. I have gone through spells of these and they are the worst. If you look at the positive side, he should have, could have won the tournament.

So he's, you know, on a high right now, as well. Still gotta win today, but I think it's a tough draw, to be honest. He's got the game to be really dangerous.

He's fit enough for a five-setter, so, yeah, I mean, gotta definitely bring my best game to the court, whatever -- Friday is, yeah.

Comments

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:59 am

Verdasco..... Australian Open 2016 - Day 4 (and predictions) 2355573927

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:04 am

I saw the highlights of Fed-Dolgo: fantastic, fast, clever, shot-making tennis from both.

They produced so much more than Raonic and Pouille the other day in the same conditions. And you could tell that like true masters, they enjoyed each other's challenge.

Fast play really separates wheat from the chaff instantly!

Fed's volleys are getting unbelievably good. He must feel such rush from some of them.

He also bombed an ace down the T....on second serve!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:31 am

Tenez wrote:
Q. It's one thing you did really well was actually your defensive game. Is that something that you have worked on?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I have, as well. The offseason I did put in the hard yards, you know. But then again, I like to work on my strength most of the time, the offensive part of my game, serve and volley, taking the forehand early, you know, using my backhand as a variation.

But of course the defensive part is the base. You also need to have that to be able to play the transition game, which I have played so well throughout my career.

You know, to go from defense to offense in the blink of an eye, it's something I did so well for so many years. It's nice when you can prove it to yourself time and time again.

I am excited about the "taking the FH" early above all....and the BH variety....so underrated and unmentioned by people...but key to his attacking game atm.
Tenez wrote:
Q. Not having Stefan around, is it strange when you have a change in your coaching setup?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I have gotten used to Ivan now being on the team for the last sort of month or so. It's not that different anymore like it maybe was at the very beginning.

But it was always very special of course looking up to the player box and seeing Stefan there. Always felt somewhat surreal to have him support me and be there for me. That's why I had a great time with him.

It was his birthday yesterday. Congratulated him for that. Hopefully we can speak next few days and see how he's doing. Of course I miss him. It's normal. He was a great asset on the team. Nicest guy ever.

We had a great time. Looking ahead, I'm excited with Ivan and Severin and the rest of the gang.

Q. What does a coach bring to your game? You don't need to be told to hit certain shots, I imagine. What does a coach bring to the table?
ROGER FEDERER: You know, there is always a different angle or something else you can work on or something that maybe you tend to forget sometimes, as there are so many things to work on and so many things keep changing. The game keeps evolving.

So I think it's important to have an open mind. I said it the other day, as well, you know. I think the support team and everybody involved, you know, they can push with a little bit extra when times get tough sometimes. Or just on a regular day rather than me going through the motions or getting used to something, I shouldn't be doing in practice or in a match, they remind me what to do and motivate me to do it.

Those little extra percent here, 5% overall can make a massive difference when you're talking about trying to win a tournament or not.
Comments
I didn't read anything in the "open mind" bit, did you?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:37 am

Nadal confirmed what we have been saying here...that the game is changing - players hitting harder and faster, and he can't keep up with it any more, i.e. he is not declining - others are getting better.
Simple, no?

==================================
“The game is changing a little bit,” Rafael Nadal said after losing to Fernando Verdasco, 7-6 (6), 4-6, 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2, in four hours and 41 minutes, in the first round of the Australian Open on Tuesday. “Everybody now tries to hit all the balls. There is no balls that you can prepare the point, no? Everybody hit the ball hard and try to go for winners in any position. Game become a little bit more crazy in this aspect."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 am

At 33, Ferrer looks much younger than Hewitt, 34. Esp his game.

Or maybe it's Hewitt that's looking old. Ferrer just aced him with a medium fast serve down the t.

Yet, it's Hewitt that was number one and won slams...

All about being in the right place at the right time...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:32 am

Old Step starting to have some fun aganst Stan.

Chardy-Kuznetsov an interesting one, too.

Despite everything, there is still a lot of variety in matches...even if it's down to just individual players' style.

Fed-Dolgo was stratospherically better than anything else I've seen so far - others look so human compared to them...except fr Nole's athleticism which was simply ridiculous aganst Hayles yesterday - he was striking shots at full pelt out of positions everyone else would be able to merely moonball the ball back.
If nothing else - his core muscles are made of titanium steel! Winking

Last edited by noleisthebest on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:34 am

noleisthebest wrote:Nadal confirmed what we have been saying here...that the game is changing - players hitting harder and faster, and he can't keep up with it any more, i.e. he is not declining - others are getting better.
Simple, no?

“The game is changing a little bit,” Rafael Nadal said after losing to Fernando Verdasco, 7-6 (6), 4-6, 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2, in four hours and 41 minutes, in the first round of the Australian Open on Tuesday. “Everybody now tries to hit all the balls. There is no balls that you can prepare the point, no? Everybody hit the ball hard and try to go for winners in any position. Game become a little bit more crazy in this aspect."

yes especially as the conditions change too. It's quite fast during the day and it certainly invites more aggressive hitting.

But I have said that Nadal main weapon was to send a ball different than the others. It created a huge challenge for all players.

However they got used to it and the novelty now, plus faster courts is turning against him. It means he has to take more risk, makes more error and can't rely on his main strength: his stamina.

Federer above also says the conds are fast AND the game evolves. Nadal is the perfect example of a champion being overtaken before his physical decline. It happened to all champions before but certainly happens quicker to those relying on fitness (Borg, Chang, Hewitt....)....though Djoko and Murray are keeping it up for longer.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:39 am

Murray destroying another big server.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:41 am

Tenez wrote:Murray destroying another big server.
I read he was practicing returning standing a meter inside the court yesterday - probably getting ready for faster day conditions.
Didn't check the draw, is Raonc in his path before Stan?

Fed choosing all his matches for daytime, no surprise.

Nole squeezed out of Laver tomorrow, scheduled for evening.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:57 am

Ferrer-Hewitt is a sad and tortured viewing...Hewitt looks like he is going to cry.
Switching over to Tomic-Bolleli.
Two quality players, can't be bad!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:13 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:Murray destroying another big server.
I read he was practicing returning standing a meter inside the court yesterday - probably getting ready for faster day conditions.
Didn't check the draw, is Raonc in his path before Stan?

But Fed will be desperate for night matches as he needs to get the timing right for the bigger matches,

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:20 am

Rao would play Stan first.

Stephane Robert, a 35yo french player into the 3rd round.

Told you Verdy would lose in the next round.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:21 am

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
But Fed will be desperate for night matches as he needs to get the timing right for the bigger matches,
True, though he may need inly one match for it.
At this stage - probably more important for him to conserve energy as much as possible.
Last thing he needs is to hit extra balls.
He'll probably play evening match against Berdych/Kyrgios.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:25 am

Tenez wrote:Rao would play Stan first.
Ouch, it's going to be tough for Stan. Night session essential.
Just checked Stan is 4:0...incl. Cinci and Shanghai.
Tenez wrote:
Stephane Robert, a 35yo french player into the 3rd round.
Yes!
The LL from last year's AO.
I saw him in Roehampton and mentioned it to him - drew a big smile!
Tenez wrote:
Told you Verdy would lose in the next round.
You did!
Yet you chose him to win in the picks Winking

But yes...it happened to them all: Rosol, Darcis, Brown....only Kyrgios managed to survive the "curse"....for one round.
Daveed  Ferrer...the true Humble Bull! Hug

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am

Why is Tomic so lazy and gutless?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:23 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Why is Tomic so lazy and gutless?
I know why... he is plain thick. Simple as that. Incurable.

Bolleli playing with frozen lower back, can't serve, can't move...and Tomic still unable to put him away...

All in all, he's done well for himself. Shame about all that wasted talent.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:07 pm

My irish mate hasn't seen it yet evidenced by one pick where his choice got thrashed.

Hugh Jass: Verdasco, chardy, gael, rao, stan, hewitt, isner, tomic groth

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down