Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc)

+4
Daniel
summerblues
Tenez
noleisthebest
8 posters

Go down

Who Will Win Australian Open 2016?

Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Vote_lcap33%Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Vote_lcap50%Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 3 ]
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Vote_lcap17%Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Vote_lcap0%Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Vote_lcap0%Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Empty Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc)

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:35 pm

We have seen all top players this week and based on that most have picked up where they left in 2015.

Fed seems to have worked on his FH esp the deep inside out loopy one, also his service motion looks like he is trying to come down on the ball with a different shoulder motion, reminde me if Samoras a bit, but maybe that as the camera angle.

Nadal is really able to muscle the ball but not do much with it from the base-line.
I only saw him against Djokovic, today.

Nole looks the same - he adjusts to the player he faces.

Murray lost to Kyrgios in Hopman Cup (haven't seen him) - plus his wife is due in early February...maybe his mind is not quite fully on tennis.
Still, despite never winning it, he's played 3 finals there, probably his most successful slam that way.

Stan - playing final of Chennai tomorrow - is also his usual self, will be dangerous if he makes week 2.

Nishi, Berd, Tomic, Dimitrov, Raonic - all could be banana skins, but I can't see them past the SF.

Anyone else?

Kyrgios maybe going wild in front of his crowd?

Or Anderson...can't remember him doing anything meaningful in AO so far, though.

The draw will probably come out next Friday, so we'll know more then.
Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Msdraw

Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) 1360259396_kangaroo_om_nom_nom

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Empty Re: Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc)

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:26 pm

It should be an interesting AO...hope they speed it a bit. I was watching a 2011 Stan/Dimi youtube clip...was dead slow then.....and Stan improved immensely.....so did Dimi.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) Empty Re: Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc)

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:33 pm

Tenez wrote:It should be an interesting AO...hope they speed it a bit. I was watching a 2011 Stan/Dimi youtube clip...was dead slow then.....and Stan improved immensely.....so did Dimi.
I remember Stan from Rome final 2008 ( or was it 9) he was so "average", all over the place, no FH, choker...and look at him now.

Dimi will get there, too, also Thiem.

SBH-ers game really gets better with time, kind of comes together and very aggressive.

Even Richie might get there by the age of 35!

Yes, Oz should speed things, but will they?

Remember last year they made Nadal-tailored balls, Kia is their main sponsor.

But that way they are undermining their talent: Tomic, Kyrgios, Kokki...they would all benefit from faster conditions.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:55 pm

I picked Federer. I do not really think he will win it. I think Novak has the best chance, but I think that chance is less than people think, so I wanted to pick someone else to express that.

Really, my vote is "not Novak".

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:31 am

I'll go for Fed, too.
I think someone will take Nole out before the final.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:56 pm

I am beginning to get excited! diva
Draw coming out tomorrow.

"I feel good, I trained two days in a row, on Thursday I will rest because there is still the feel of consequences from the cold. Health is the most important, I am not 100% ready, but I am better."
Federer lost to Milos Raonic in the Brisbane final last weekend, but that did not disturb his plans at the first Grand Slam of the season. When asked whether he came to Melbourne to triumph there for the 5th time, he answered:
"Of course, that is my plan. Even though I didnt know whether I will beat Novak Djokovic or will I even meet him, I came for the title. I trained to win, I had a positive preparation for the season, I was good in Brisbane despite health problems. Anyway, I am here so I could open the winning champagne in two weeks".  Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Yes...Once again Fed has flu and some are talking about declining. Of course he is declining now but all losses won't be explained by that. I wish some could see how great his runs were at Wimby and USO. Just because he lost to a guy who has become a much better version than Nadal does not mean he declined dramatically.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:03 pm

favourite: Djokovic
Second: Murray / Wawrinka
Third Federer.

Can't see Anyone but Wawrinka, Murray, or Djokovic winning this one.  But even if they don't - I don't see Fed doing it.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Tenez wrote:Yes...Once again Fed has flu and some are talking about declining. Of course he is declining now but all losses won't be explained by that. I wish some could see how great his runs were at Wimby and USO. Just because he lost to a guy who has become a much better version than Nadal does not mean he declined dramatically.

Yes, that phenomenon is quite interesting.
The whole thing about people's inability to see how good he is was quite an eye-opener.
It's not just posters on forums, but also some ex-players.
They must be either thick or envious.

I can't think of anything else.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:24 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:18 am

looks like the draw is out as Murray has Zverev first.

Looking for it...

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:20 am

WOWWW very unlucky for Chung. Djoko in the first round.....but so interesting too!!!!

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/index.html

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:23 am

top draw much tougher with Djoko, Federer, Berdych...Bottom Nadal, Ferrer and maybe Murray if he stays that far!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:24 am

Nadal very tough with Verdasco up immediately.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:28 am

DONALD TRUMP wrote:Nadal very tough with Verdasco up immediately.
Laugh

Everything is tough for nadal nowadays....

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:23 am

Tenez wrote:Yes...Once again Fed has flu and some are talking about declining. Of course he is declining now but all losses won't be explained by that. I wish some could see how great his runs were at Wimby and USO. Just because he lost to a guy who has become a much better version than Nadal does not mean he declined dramatically.
Did Fed never suffered from flu before?

See its not like the ones who say he is declining don't recognize he greatness. He is GOAT and will be. But its also a fact that he is slower on on his feet. And hence can't get some of the shots right even on the FH side. His FH would be most feared once but now he leaks a lot of error off that wing.

Also he had some technical weaknesses which got exposed more and more with time. I'm talking about the BH. You see he nets a lot of balls playing the BH, only because he lacks power off that wing particularly when on the move or out stretched. People like Stan, Gasquet or Henin who have great BHs use their LH to get added strength, balance and even direction. See how easily they can hit a DTL shot and change the course of a point. But Fed's LH barely moves, that's why it lacks stability. This is my analysis of why he misses so many of the BHs.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:29 pm

I had a quick look at the draw, Murray's  is the easiest, follwed by Nadal's.

Nole's got his work cut out. Karlovic will ve a tough opponent for him.

Fed, just hope he's healthy. Good tennis guaranteed.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:30 pm

DONALD TRUMP wrote:Nadal very tough with Verdasco up immediately.

Would you rather him have Nole's draw?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:36 pm

summerblues wrote:I picked Federer.  I do not really think he will win it.  I think Novak has the best chance, but I think that chance is less than people think, so I wanted to pick someone else to express that.

Really, my vote is "not Novak".

I wish people didn't call Nole "Novak".

It's so not him. Sounds worse than calling Nadal - Rafael. It's a nice but rare Serbian name and absolutely nobody calls him like that.

It's either Nole (if they like him) or Djokovic if they don't.

Novak is sounds sterile. Or "balanced". And there is nothing "balanced" about him.

Rant over. Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Tenez wrote:looks like the draw is out as Murray has Zverev first.

Looking for it...
That will be an interestng match as I see Zverev a new Murray. Very passive player who loves to rally.
Amazingly mobile for his size. Has better serve and shots than Coric - but Coric is a smarter mover and player than him I think.
Also, in love with himself and his hair.
I think he'd wear lipstick and mascara if he could get away with it, he is that "pretty"!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Tenez wrote:WOWWW very unlucky for Chung. Djoko in the first round.....but so interesting too!!!!

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/index.html

Yes, I'll definitely stay up for that one.
I've been waiting doe ages to have a proper look at Chung, esp his FH.

Quite excited about that match, in fact.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:30 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
Did Fed never suffered from flu before?
And did he not ever lose before?

See its not like the ones who say he is declining don't recognize he greatness. He is GOAT and will be. But its also a fact that he is slower on on his feet. And hence can't get some of the shots right even on the FH side. His FH would be most feared once but now he leaks a lot of error off that wing.

But you have been saying that he had lost a step for years....and that was wrong. You coudl not see with a naked eye that loss of step. And my very point is that that very slight loss is largely comensentated by better anticipation of where the ball is going, how to handle it, and where to send it. This is what you and all those talk about "declining" fail to see or mention. The exposure to the new game and "better players" cannot be replaced by "fresher and maybe" faster legs. Fed 07 was already losing v young Nadal, Murray and Djoko. And I have read nowhere so far fed managed to keep improving to stay with those guys....7 YEARS LATER!....in fact beating 2 of those more regularly now than then!

Also he had some technical weaknesses which got exposed more and more with time. I'm talking about the BH. You see he nets a lot of balls playing the BH,
Frankly, the opposite actually. Unlike then, players like Murrray, Djoko and Nadal can actually attack his BH more than any other player could because of theor mouvement. We saw recently how Fed coudl handle those BHs much better than in the past. I am surprised you cannot see it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:15 pm

I kind of like this draw- it's fairly balanced.    Fed has tough early rounds, but I don't mind the Djoko semi draw.  It was always likely he would have to play him to win the AO anyway, so get him in the semi- Fed might be a tad fresher, less pressure.. while Djoko could be looking ahead a bit.  It seems like Fed's best performances have been in the semis recently anyway.

Djoko- it all looks easy for him because of his level, but he has some tough players, a good quarter oppoinient if Kei keeps his fitness and shows some heart.

Stan and Nadal have minefields having to battle each other in the quarters to possibly then face Murray.

Some good early rounds with intriguing matchups.  

Could be an entertaining tournament.

I just hope the conditions play with a little speed..smh.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Hewitt playing his last tournie ever too.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:43 pm

luvsports! wrote:Hewitt playing his last tournie ever too.
I sensed it which is why I added him in the Poll. Winking

He's done well to last all these years, esp. with his style of play!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:20 pm

truffin1 wrote:I kind of like this draw- it's fairly balanced.    Fed has tough early rounds, but I don't mind the Djoko semi draw.  It was always likely he would have to play him to win the AO anyway, so get him in the semi- Fed might be a tad fresher, less pressure.. while Djoko could be looking ahead a bit.  It seems like Fed's best performances have been in the semis recently anyway.
They certainly did have some memorable SFs...and I agree that this time Fed's got a better chance in the semis.
truffin1 wrote:Stan and Nadal have minefields having to battle each other in the quarters to possibly then face Murray.
Some good early rounds with intriguing matchups.  
Could be an entertaining tournament.
I just hope the conditions play with a little speed..smh.
To me, draw looks skewed towards Nadal, so not expecting anything to be faster unfortunately; though, slow court will suit Stan if he meets Nadal.
I wouldn't mind another one of those, as I think Aussies would be behind Stan esp after booing Nadal in 2013...what drama that was!
Blisters, back, time-outs... Nadal just could not get his head around the fact he was losing that match!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:54 pm

There are some nice clips of players' practice sessions in Melbourne...
Saw Fed-Hewitt...tennis has never been so exciting to follow with internet and youtube clips.
Also a "teaser" of some documentary about players in Futures and Challengers.
What a thin line it is between a dream and an illusion - over the net...

Tennis should be a compulsory subject at school! tennisball
Who needs geography and all that other palaver & trivia crammed into children's heads...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:30 am

truffin1 wrote:I kind of like this draw- it's fairly balanced.    Fed has tough early rounds, but I don't mind the Djoko semi draw.  It was always likely he would have to play him to win the AO anyway, so get him in the semi- Fed might be a tad fresher, less pressure.. while Djoko could be looking ahead a bit.  It seems like Fed's best performances have been in the semis recently anyway.
Yes he said that himself when asked about his number 3 seed.

Djoko- it all looks easy for him because of his level, but he has some tough players, a good quarter oppoinient if Kei keeps his fitness and shows some heart.
I would like to see how he does v Chung. I am pretty sure it is not going to be so easy.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:44 am

Here is a little quiz:

1) How old will Karlovoc be in a months time?
2) What is his H2H with Djokovic?

No looking! Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) 3700139714

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:55 am

Karlovic will be 37?

As you ask the question I bet it will be quite a shocking one, like Roddick being ahead of djoko in h2h or anderson vs stan.

4-2 to karlo? :P

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:44 am

You got the first one right!

I didn't realise he was going to be 37!!!

Just goes to show how far a food serve can take you.
Plus he has the SBH.

Second question still open!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:03 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Here is a little quiz:

1) How old will Karlovoc be in a months time?
2) What is his H2H with Djokovic?

No looking! Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) 3700139714
I think 37 (I read it recentlly)
his ranking is in the top 25.....so was he recently ....again.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:04 pm

I'd say 1/0 Karlo....I can't renmember many of those encounters.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:20 pm

It's 3:1 to Ivo!

All his wins came on hard courts (twice in Madrid and once in Doha last year)
Nole's only win came on clay.

So, could be interesting one!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Here's the order of play for Monday:

Australian Open 2016 Predictions (Draw etc) P_schedule6

Match of the day:

Djokovic-Chung
Followed by:
Berankis-Dolgopolov
Nishikori-Kohlschreiber
Baghdatis-Tsonga
Thiem-L.Mayer

Also playing: Federer, Paire, Dimitrov

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:31 pm

If they meet nitb. 
They aren;t scheduled to meet until r4. I doubt he will get there.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:39 pm

noleisthebest wrote:It's 3:1 to Ivo!

Wow...interesting. On that stat alone I would place Federer above Djoko on the return department.

Federer beat karlo at Wimby 3 times at least with his 90inch racquet. I don;t think Djoko could have done that....without losing a set even.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:49 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:It's 3:1 to Ivo!

Wow...interesting. On that stat alone I would place Federer above Djoko on the return department.

Federer beat karlo at Wimby 3 times at least with his 90inch racquet. I don;t think Djoko could have done that....without losing a set even.
Wow!
Yes, Fed has 13:1 H2H with Ivo, that prompted me to do the Best Returner thread.

13:1 is a monument to Fed's BH.

Also, I remember that Nole struggled against Roddick who also has a positive h2h with him (didn't check, though).

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:54 pm

luvsports! wrote:If they meet nitb. 
They aren;t scheduled to meet until r4. I doubt he will get there.
I'd like to see that match.

(sorry Chunga-Lunga)

The tournamnt would become very exciting if he lost (however hard it is to imagine).

Who'd be the happiest: Fed, Nadal, Murray or Stan?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:56 pm

Stan has  been the only one who can beat him here so the rest I guess.
Personally I would say Murray as I tink here he can beat others.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:51 am

We doing the daily prediction game?

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:10 pm

LS, while you are at it, why don't you also enter my prediction game on v2?

(edit: I cross-posted my game here too - so you can join it here instead smiley)

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Haha I'll have a browse

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:10 pm

V unlikely to be federer.  Can't believe he has 3 votes - I think that's heart over brain.  Odds are strongly in favour of Djok then Murray/Wawrinka.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Agreed FK.
This court doesn't suit him either.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Wawrinka is usually deadly on this kind of surface. But he's the only one who really steps out to me as potentially "deadly" at the moment apart from Djok.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:53 pm

Chung is going to stop Djoko.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:52 pm

Tenez wrote:Chung is going to stop Djoko.
I have just subscribed to Eurosport app. diva

I reckon about 3AM. (gulp!  Seeing Double  )

Who is staying up for this one?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:01 pm

not me.....unfortunately...unless my jetlagging starts to kick in.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down