Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

GOAT  davis  

Latest topics
» World Tour Finals 2017
Today at 2:31 am by break_in_the_fifth

» This Is What A Feminist Looks Like
Today at 1:07 am by Daniel

» Any rugby fans?
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 pm by Tenez

» Nadal whines over surface match ups with Federer in 2017
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:41 pm by Jahu

» The doping program joke of the ITF!!!
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 am by legendkillar

» Anyone want to swap a day ticket on Monday for Sunday??
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 am by Tenez

» So what's your projections for 2018?
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 am by summerblues

» Race to London
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:27 am by Tenez

» Baby WTF - Next-Gen ATP Finals 2017
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:32 am by noleisthebest

November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum


2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:40 pm

I just got used to the off-season when I saw Tenez's post mentioning Doha...and when I had a look saw it has already started!

Am I ready?
Not sure...but who's asking me anyway...tongueout

So, here we are, 1st of January 2016.


DOHA (Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Ferrer)




http://www.protennislive.com/posting/2016/451/mds.pdf


BRISBANE (Federer, Nishikori, Cilic, Simon, Dimitrov)


http://www.protennislive.com/posting/2016/339/mds.pdf




CHENNAI (Stan, Paire, Anderson)

http://www.protennislive.com/posting/2016/891/mds.pdf


Last edited by noleisthebest on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:32 am; edited 4 times in total

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Of the sad news: Gasquet has pulled out of Doha and AO, back injury.
The cost of his fitness shown in 2015.

Apparently Nadal has already beaten Ferrer in 3 sets today, I am assuming that's in Doha, so an exo.

 An interesting match tomorrow (don't know which tournament) - Simon-Dimi.

Other than that ATP website is still super-annoying and useless.
I loathe the sight of their blue logo going round every time you click/download a link.

I feel my life is being stolen from me!!!!

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:34 pm

12 hours driving...and finally home. Coming back from a family gathering in Hossegor. Great place and amazing weather. Weird for December though. Exhausted.

Shoudl be back posting more.

Should we start a 2016 prediction thread?

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:08 am

Welcome back and lucky you! 
I'll be having my family reunion in Belgrade next week...and I'm sure the weather will be amazing....ly cold! Brr

Looks like tennis season has begun, although it doesn't feel like it.

The draws have finally come out for Chennai and Doha.
Rublev got a WC (2nd round vs Stan) and Chung is playing in Brisbane. Pouille around, too.

I saw photos from Brisbane, Federer seems to have got some shaving cream and razor blades for Christmas!

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:56 am

I read that Chung did his compulsory military service in Korea but thanks to his success in sport was reduced to 2 months. That's why he was away for so long I guess. Or maybe he injured himself in that match he started by bagelling his opponent and thought it was probably the best time to squeeze those 2 months.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Could be...I saw a photo of him in the uniform...looked so funny.
I think he was in the army november/december.

I am glad he chose to play Brisbane, Fred will pobably take an interest in him as he usually does with young talented players.

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:08 pm

Match of the day:

Djokovic-Brown
Simon-Dimitrov
&
for masochists:
Coric-Granollers

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:28 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
for masochists:
Coric-Granollers
....Or sadistic (enjoying seeing other suffering) like me.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:07 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
for masochists:
Coric-Granollers
....Or sadistic (enjoying seeing other suffering) like me.
As they say, sport doesn't build character...it reveals it! Winking

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:59 pm

News from Brisbane...

From this:
http://www.tennisactu.net/news-atp-brisbane-robin-haase-cible-par-roger-federer-49170.html

...to this:

Groth: "When Federer enters the room, the room goes silent. Of course it's great having the Roger Federer in this tournament. He's the person that any tournament would want to have and we respect him a lot."

I don't know whether it's good or bad to speak of someone while they're "alive" like this...it may break Federer's heart the day he decides to stop playing.

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:00 am

I don't quite like the expression but he is after all a living legend!

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:40 pm

Chung beating Groth on his first comeback match! Not an easy draw and good handling of serve.

Tough draw with Cilic next. they played recently and Chung lost a very close match. Let's see if he has learnt from it.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:03 pm

Yes, I saw the score.
Cool.

He just makes things happen, you don't need to stress like when you watch Rubi
I hope to catch the match against Cilic and look at him properly.

Another result Djokovic-Brown 6:2 6:2, and I saw it was even 5:0 at one stage...
What does that tell us about Nadal and Brown's demolition of him in Wimbledon?

Suprised to see Dimi beat Simon (after losing 4 previous matches to him). Looks like my prediction could come true.
I just sensed he was turning the right direction last time I watched him.

Coric was one set all against Granollers, didn't check the final score, I hope he lost the third.
Don't know why but he really gets on my nerves.

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:45 pm

I was very close to write down your Dimi's prediction....in fact I did and then deleted it.

I think he can do well this year. he will. He won't be any different than Gasquet, Stan and others who have matured late in their career....whether that level will be good enough to win slams then, is another question.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:12 pm

I am so glad Dimi got rid of Rasheed, the only way is up for him now!
I read that Rasheed wants to coach Kyrgios...and maybe that particular combination could work because Kyrgios is lazy an unfit...well, unfit for current demands.

Talking of Stan, I'd love him to win a few more slams and overtake Murray.
There is nothing stopping him winning another AO or RG, just needs to keep his head together for two weeks...as he is such a softie! Hug

We could see Rubi take Stan on provided he beats Davverman first...and I bet he won't...he doesn't handle grinders well... Sad

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:55 am

Watching a bit of Pouille, Nishioka, it is obvious that the more tennis looks like ping pong the more Asian players will be good at it. They do run fast and topspin everything.

Lots of waste in Pouilles game.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:10 am

In a way, Pouille plays similarly to Rublev - exhausts himself attacking and going for the ball and gets close to winning but then loses. 
Not much subtlety and guile, but still nice to watch and tennis with the right mindset which will keep improving and geting more dangerous hopefully.
The only two young players wih a decent FH. 
Though, Chung seems to have found a formula. I am now really intrigued to see how he does it - esp the bagelling way!

It really is the defenders/retrievers market in this era.

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:40 am

noleisthebest wrote:
It really is the defenders/retrievers market in this era.

Always been really though over the last 10 years it has been the retrievers domination.

Tennis is not really exciting to watch atm.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:59 am

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
It really is the defenders/retrievers market in this era.

Always been really though over the last 10 years it has been the retrievers domination.

Tennis is not really exciting to watch atm.

No, unfortunately not.
Not a good sign when one spends more time watching old youtube clips than current tournaments.


I did enjoy this one!


noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:59 am

Nishioka stands further back than Nadal on returns and is nearly as good at moonballing!

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:00 am

Pouille shoudl have won that in a much easier fashion.

only 2 BPs converted out of 13!!!!

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:25 am

Tenez wrote:Nishioka stands further back than Nadal on returns and is nearly as good at moonballing!

The new generation learns from what the older successful ones were doing. And in the current tennis times, this kind of play is still giving results. So why not..

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Posts : 2848
Join date : 2012-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:32 am

Tenez wrote:Nishioka stands further back than Nadal on returns and is nearly as good at moonballing!

That is truly scary!


I only saw a clip of him dong some trick shot a while ago, thinking he was into flairful tennis.

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:34 am

Tenez wrote:Pouille shoudl have won that in a much easier fashion.

only 2 BPs converted out of 13!!!!

I couldn't watch but so glad he won.

The unconverted BPs remind me of Fed's last year they cost him USO, and it was his FH that let him down on most.

Is the surface slow?

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:38 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
Tenez wrote:Nishioka stands further back than Nadal on returns and is nearly as good at moonballing!

The new generation learns from what the older successful ones were doing. And in the current tennis times, this kind of play is still giving results. So why not..

It may bring iniial success, but I doubt it will win big titles.
The future of tennis is in big weapons, not retrieving.

I'd like to believe we are at the end of retrieving, physical cycle.
Despite medical advances and all that, surely there must be a limit to what a body can do!

Mind you, up to a point, it's physically easier to retrieve safely than to attack continually.








noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:47 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
It really is the defenders/retrievers market in this era.

Always been really though over the last 10 years it has been the retrievers domination.

Tennis is not really exciting to watch atm.

No, unfortunately not.
Not a good sign when one spends more time watching old youtube clips than current tournaments.


I did enjoy this one!


Good shots, some real out of the world ones. But those are not easy for Fed, he can't do it all at will. This is where the likes of Nadal are even ready to take up a few because they know those shots are not easy for Fed. And with speed and retrieving stills, those BH will start producing truck load of errors.


Fed can hit those, but its not easy for him. Definitely not against Spinny high rising FHs, or relentless strong CC BHs.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Posts : 2848
Join date : 2012-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:51 am

noleisthebest wrote:
raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
Tenez wrote:Nishioka stands further back than Nadal on returns and is nearly as good at moonballing!

The new generation learns from what the older successful ones were doing. And in the current tennis times, this kind of play is still giving results. So why not..

It may bring iniial success, but I doubt it will win big titles.
The future of tennis is in big weapons, not retrieving.

I'd like to believe we are at the end of retrieving, physical cycle.
Despite medical advances and all that, surely  there must be a limit to what a body can do!

Mind you, up to a point,  it's physically easier to retrieve safely than to attack continually.

Okay what are you suggesting? How should the young players play to beat the likes of Djokovic/Murray/Nadal coz they need to go through these if they want to win titles. Playing like Fed is not easy, its needs some one-in-a-century kind of talent and that too can be tamed. 

So what are their options? Maybe like Stan.. blow the retrievers off court, but that too isn't easy. Its high risk play and not every player can do it.

The only way left is play like those 3 play.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Posts : 2848
Join date : 2012-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:10 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
Good shots, some real out of the world ones. But those are not easy for Fed, he can't do it all at will. This is where the likes of Nadal are even ready to take up a few because they know those shots are not easy for Fed. And with speed and retrieving stills, those BH will start producing truck load of errors.


Fed can hit those, but its not easy for him. Definitely not against Spinny high rising FHs, or relentless strong CC BHs.
True.

But despite the quite one sided H2H between Nadal and Fed, their matches were on average very close and that change of racquet size coudl have made a ton of difference...now it is a bit late.....though Fed beat nadal last time they played! Cheers

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:38 am

Tenez wrote:
raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
Good shots, some real out of the world ones. But those are not easy for Fed, he can't do it all at will. This is where the likes of Nadal are even ready to take up a few because they know those shots are not easy for Fed. And with speed and retrieving stills, those BH will start producing truck load of errors.


Fed can hit those, but its not easy for him. Definitely not against Spinny high rising FHs, or relentless strong CC BHs.
True.

But despite the quite one sided H2H between Nadal and Fed, their matches were on average very close and that change of racquet size coudl have made a ton of difference...now it is a bit late.....though Fed beat nadal last time they played! Cheers
Yeah... I know. A lot of those BH errors have come on important points, those decided the winner.

Changing racquets.. When do you think was the most ideal time for Fed to change racquets? I don't see he should have done it any time till 2008.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Posts : 2848
Join date : 2012-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:15 pm

I think he should have in 2002...if not before. The sooner the better. He changed from 85inch to 90inch and all gut to half gut and half luxilion in 2002. But at that time most players had already adopted the 95in or above racquets.

Had he started in in 2002 with 95inch or 97 like he has now, his FH and BH woudl have been much more secure.

Real shame...despiute doing quite well with the smaller one.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:17 pm

It of course that change of racquet in 2002 that turned him from a promising player failing to deliver to the amazing player who could not lose for 5 years...and a bit more maturity too. But had he stayed with the 85inch racquet, all gut, he would not have won 1/4 of his slams.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Wow, Nike has invested in Rublev! I am pretty sure the feather on his haircut is also their idea! trying to create an "icon".

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Rublev is actually playing well. I maintain all I said.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:26 pm

he is so much better at the net now, goiing forward at the first occasion. I like what I see. Now can he last?

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Of course it is one thing playing like that v Devvarman and doing it against the best players ....but still a good display.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:48 pm

Tenez wrote:Rublev is actually playing well. I maintain all I said.

Not watchng. Glad to hear it.
Tennistv not showing the match for some reason Grr

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:54 pm

Tenez wrote:Wow, Nike has invested in Rublev! I am pretty sure the feather on his haircut is also their idea! trying to create an "icon".

He,he  actually have a 16 yo (looking like 20 Yikes) Russian student atm.
Into tennis, so may take him to the club for a game tomorrow.

They are a such serious bunch!

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Tenez wrote:It of course that change of racquet in 2002 that turned him from a promising player failing to deliver to the amazing player who could not lose for 5 years...and a bit more maturity too. But had he stayed with the 85inch racquet, all gut, he would not have won 1/4 of his slams.

Yes, people underrestimate how serious those changes are.

I don't think Stan ever played with anything under 95".

We have a really nice talented 16 year old who is a club champion this year!
Definitely not a basher, has a heart & brain for the game, very creative.

But even he strikes the ball a little bit "off the peg".

These 100" racquets are not great for tennis.

Specs should be rethought for pros I think

But does anyone even want to do it?



noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:04 pm

Tenez wrote:Wow, Nike has invested in Rublev! I am pretty sure the feather on his haircut is also their idea! trying to create an "icon".
Rubi's got lots of character and charm, I am so glad Nike started payng attention to him.


With his talent and natural charisma, should be easy to market. Much easier than that horror of Coric.
Can't believe he outground Granollers in three sets yesterday!

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:16 pm

Tenez wrote:Of course it is one thing playing like that v Devvarman and doing it against the best players ....but still a good display.
I thought it was finished and he won Yikes
Only able to folow the scores.
Go Rubi! diva

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:38 pm

yep..had a dip in that 2nd set....Stan next.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Tenez wrote:yep..had a dip in that 2nd set....Stan next.
Brilliant!
I've got to find the link for that.

Was he his usual baseline self or freer around the court?
He played a lot of dobles during summer.

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:14 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:

Okay what are you suggesting? How should the young players play to beat the likes of Djokovic/Murray/Nadal coz they need to go through these if they want to win titles. Playing like Fed is not easy, its needs some one-in-a-century kind of talent and that too can be tamed. 
Well they can't outlast them. They are physically inferior.
They have no new technology to help them create an edge either.
They have much less money so can't afford best "doctors", physios "teams" etc...
In short: they are stuffed!

rotla wrote:
So what are their options? Maybe like Stan.. blow the retrievers off court, but that too isn't easy. Its high risk play and not every player can do it.
The only way left is play like those 3 play.
yes, it goes back to what I was suggsting: they need to have big weapons, i.e. talent - a great FH (which usually comes with the good serve).

And even very talented ones will suffer because of fitness.

But there are a few around and that's promising: Rublev, Chung, Thiem...maybe even Pouille

They are the new slam winners, not Coric and Nishioka.

We just need to wait a few years.. Wah

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:35 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:yep..had a dip in that 2nd set....Stan next.
Brilliant!
I've got to find the link for that.

Was he his usual baseline self or freer around the court?
He played a lot of dobles during summer.

he really played well. His attacking rate was good. he is finding the right compromise between aggression and safety. he also came to the net to finish points quite often.

His weakness is his lack of professionalism. He can break relatively easily but can lose his serve because of carelessness.

His confidence is growing and he should improve quickly.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:11 am

I just found out from tennistv they are showing Chennai and Brisbane from the 8th!!!!
(despite advertising them from the 4th)

Disgusting.

Not even bet365 had Cilic-Chung, so I "watched" the scores 

It "looked" close.

Cilic failed to serve the match at 5:3 and it went to TB.

noleisthebest

Posts : 25119
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:44 am

Tenez wrote:I think he should have in 2002...if not before. The sooner the better. He changed from 85inch to 90inch and all gut to half gut and half luxilion in 2002. But at that time most players had already adopted the 95in or above racquets.

Had he started in in 2002 with 95inch or 97 like he has now, his FH and BH woudl have been much more secure.

Real shame...despiute doing quite well with the smaller one.
 85 to 95 jump is a BIG!! change. I don't think Fed would have done even half as good as he has had to made the 95 sq inch move straight from his old one in 2002. Also that would have been too risky, a complete make-or-break thing. I'm not sure any coach would suggest such changes unless there is just no hope ( like the case with Nadal moving from RH to LH).


I would think 2010 mid should have a good time he could  have started transitioning to 95 sq inch. Or may be already was, only not openly and in tournaments.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Posts : 2848
Join date : 2012-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:04 am

Yes it's a big change....but so was moving from nat gut to synth gut. It's not only a big change, it;s also a big advanatge as Federer finally discovered in 2013. And one thing for sure. If he coudl adapt at 33, he was even more likely to adapt at 21!

And nothing is as big a change as playing on slower courts and changing his FH, which he had to do in 2007 (adding more spin). So frankly things would have been much easier for him in 2007 had he also changed racquet to suit his more loopy shots.

Talented players have little issues adapting to new technology. The change from wooden racquets to mid-frame by McEnroe and most of his generation was done with great results to back it up.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:18 am

no luck for Chung.....losing his 3rd TB v Cilic! each match getting ever closer.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:59 am

Tenez wrote:Yes it's a big change....but so was moving from nat gut to synth gut. It's not only a big change, it;s also a big advanatge as Federer finally discovered in 2013. And one thing for sure. If he coudl adapt at 33, he was even more likely to adapt at 21!

And nothing is as big a change as playing on slower courts and changing his FH, which he had to do in 2007 (adding more spin). So frankly things would have been much easier for him in 2007 had he also changed racquet to suit his more loopy shots.

Talented players have little issues adapting to new technology. The change from wooden racquets to mid-frame by McEnroe and most of his generation was done with great results to back it up.

Yes but is it possible for a player to adapt to 2 BIG changes and all at once? I don't think Fed or any pro would take a chance of attempting such a thing. fed wasn't exactly a disaster before moving to nat-gut + syn mixed. 

Its difficult for me to think which could have been the right time for Fed to make this racquet change. By 2007 end he had a great year, 4 slam finals, winning 3 of them.. WFT many other tournaments. So why would he change if he is already getting so much success? Only to be able to beat Nadal? But as you know those losses were also very close and just decided on a few points. Its difficult to think Fed could have done anything other than continue with his old-faithful.

I think 2010 was the real time when not only Nadal, but others also started to beat him using fitness and drawing errors from Fed. His loses were mostly attribited to UEs and the bigger racquet could have solved those. Its wasn't too late either, 28-29yrs. Courts were as slow as they can get.. Fed had nothing much to lose. Perfect time to try new things, and seriously too.

2012-13... well It was bit late actually.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Posts : 2848
Join date : 2012-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Tenez on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:45 pm

You can always see it as a change ..or a new weapon providing more power and safety. 

Not many would find it hard to adapt. 

Sure there is always a risk....but at 21, you are young  and flexible enough to adapt or even to drop the attempt and revert back. 

Federer would quickly have seen the benefits, like no-one noticed how well he adapted to new strings and bigger frame in 2002. I cannot see why a slighly bigger frame woudl have made such a difference. All his toughest competitiors of the time (Hewitt, Nalby, Safin, etc...) were on a 95 or bigger frame. 

Pete mentioned how he regretted not to have adopted to bigger racquets in his late career, and I am pretty sure Fed will too.....though he might never admit it. 

The change as I said was coming from slower courts and his new kind of opponents......that's what most difficult to adapt, not a new racquet which can only help you deal with those new conds and opponents. 

he may have lost one or 2 slams because of it at first (if that) but woudl have gained 5 more easily. 

Simple, his first slam on the tour came months after adapting to the new racquet. His display in Wimby 2003 was a real novelty in the tennis world with an array of shots whihc would not have been possible with the former racquet. 

Very similar to his current game where we see shots he coudl not do with teh older racquet, well certainly not as often.

Tenez

Posts : 17374
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016, ATP 250: Brisbane, Doha, Chennai/Sydney, Auckland

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum