Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10

+8
HM Murdoch
sphairistike
paulcz
federator
laverfan
noleisthebest
Tenez
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
12 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 Empty Re: US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10

Post by Veejay Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 am

wow3 wrote:Roger made too many UEs and Berdy was having his day. Berdy will be back to his usual non-performance in the semi.

Veejay, Errani is playing Serena and if the match is played early then Serena might struggle. I hate Serena's post matches speeches, so full of nicey nicey fakeness.

I dont know,we will have to wait and see,cant see Errani stopping Serena..not at this stage of the tournament

Veejay

Back to top Go down

open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 Empty Re: US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:23 am

Tenez wrote:
In fact I thought Rosol's perf was much more impressive...he showed guts, Berdych it seems was close to chocking set 2 from what I read.
Only a minor blip in his level. A bit relaxed after 2 breaks is all I would say. Fed trying to hard . All combined. He even mentioned it in his interviews. The next time he served for the set, he finished it with ease. You didn't see the 4th set, did you? If you had seen how he broke Fed's serve and how he managed to serve the match out on luv, you would have seen there was not a sign of choke.

If you want to see a choke, watch Cilic-Murray match.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 am

Veejay wrote:So does anyone think that Rogers walk over cost him a little?
I dont think he would have won the U.S Open anyway,the night matches leaves way too little time for him to recover,but I did expect at least a semi final appearance

No I really don't think the w.o. affected him. He actually started the match very well. I am extremely surprised he lost to Berdych....like very surprised he lost that first set.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:45 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
If you want to see a choke, watch Cilic-Murray match.

I saw that and do not see this as pure choke. I never see "choking" for those opponents facing Murray, Djoko and Nadal. It's way too physical to let nerves play a big role. It's essentially a loss of "edge". Fed has had collapses similar against Nadal (despite being mentally pretty tough) and I know too well physique was the main factor. It's also being aware of the urge to close the set as you are aware you lose your edge and explosiveness as the match goes on.

I agree that had Cilic stayed calm he would have closed that 2nd set but he also felt extra pressure of doing so cause he was getting tired. That's when he realised he was going to fall in Murray's exhausting game.

And the 3rd and 4th set just proves that.

As it was noted Cilic had to paint the lines to lead v Murray and that painting was getting incredibly tougher further down the match when starved with O2.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:43 am

Fed : "I just didn't come up with the goods tonight," said Wimbledon champion and Olympic silver medallist Federer, who last failed to make the semi-finals of this event in 2003.

"I've got to go back to the drawing board and see what's really a priority. I'm disappointed. I really expected myself to play better.

"I felt good and had such an amazing summer. I really thought I was going to come out and play a solid match. I didn't do that."
And I pretty much agree with this. And it started this way.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:50 am

It's not the end of the world. He's had a fantastic year, who could've predicted it this time last year?
This QF loss reminds me of Tsonga knocking him out of Wimbledon at the same stage last year when he was two sets up, he was buried well and truly by the media.
Berd just played a great match, that's all.
Fed is here to stay for a while. Had he played Cilic he would've been in the semis easily.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:52 am

Tenez wrote:
Fed : "I just didn't come up with the goods tonight," said Wimbledon champion and Olympic silver medallist Federer, who last failed to make the semi-finals of this event in 2003.

"I've got to go back to the drawing board and see what's really a priority. I'm disappointed. I really expected myself to play better.

"I felt good and had such an amazing summer. I really thought I was going to come out and play a solid match. I didn't do that."

He is finding it really hard to be consistent at his age,Martina Navratilova said it best...as you get older you have more bad days then good days
It seems like he is mentally still there,his body just cant perform at the level what he wants it to day in and day out
Still havent seen the match but Berdych played really well in his previous match so I knew he would be tough to get past.He knows how to beat Roger,the last few matches they have played have been pretty close affairs.Berdych should have won Madrid

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:56 am

noleisthebest wrote:It's not the end of the world. He's had a fantastic year, who could've predicted it this time last year?
This QF loss reminds me of Tsonga knocking him out of Wimbledon at the same stage last year when he was two sets up, he was buried well and truly by the media.
Fed is here to stay for a while. Had he played Cilic he would've been in the semis easily.

I dont think its that big a deal either as I didnt think he would win the tournament anyway.He still has the edge on Murray having never beaten him at a major which could help him in the future
He has had a brilliant dream season,breaking more records...I have a feeling this will motivate him to push for the end year ranking.he would want to tie Sampras for that record

Novak to win U.S Open!

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:57 am

Veejay wrote:
Tenez wrote:

He is finding it really hard to be consistent at his age,Martina Navratilova said it best...as you get older you have more bad days then good days
It seems like he is mentally still there,his body just cant perform at the level what he wants it to day in and day out
Still havent seen the match but Berdych played really well in his previous match so I knew he would be tough to get past.He knows how to beat Roger,the last few matches they have played have been pretty close affairs.Berdych should have won Madrid

I refuse to believe it. He's as good as ever. He won a lot of matches this year. He just needs to take care of his back, and he can last at the top level or another good few years. He does not seem to lack motivation and that's the main thing. Personally, I admire it and I don't know how he does it, must hate the thought of swapping trainers for slippers open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 1071211947

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am

Veejay wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:It's not the end of the world. He's had a fantastic year, who could've predicted it this time last year?

I dont think its that big a deal either as I didnt think he would win the tournament anyway.He still has the edge on Murray having never beaten him at a major which could help him in the future
He has had a brilliant dream season,breaking more records...I have a feeling this will motivate him to push for the end year ranking.he would want to tie Sampras for that record

Novak to win U.S Open!

It's going to be tough against Delpo tonight, but if Nole comes out sharp, then it could also easily turn out like it did in Cincy.
Then grind against Ferer and then......more of what happened last year open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 4006036031

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:10 pm

noleisthebest wrote:It's not the end of the world.

Certainly. I am not particularly upset even if I woudl have liked him to win.

No. I don;t think so. Though I did not see the other 3 sets, the first set is enough for me to confirm that Fed's drop of form is what gave this first set to Berdych. Berdych will be exposed by Murray.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Veejay wrote:
Tenez wrote:

You know I like to come with physical excuses but yesterday Fed's mouvement was good. His serving was however poor and I believe the average pace of his serve was slow 109mph but not sure if that is an average of first serves or both 1 and 2nd serve.

He really struggled to hold his serve and that is very much unlike him, especially v Berdych whoi is not a particularly good returner.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Tenez wrote:

He really struggled to hold his serve and that is very much unlike him, especially v Berdych whoi is not a particularly good returner.

Ten, small correction is needed,

Tomas returns very well. He is known for that.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:01 pm

paulcz wrote:
Tenez wrote:

Is he? I am not saying he is a poor returner but certainly not of the standard of the better ones.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Tenez wrote:
paulcz wrote:
Tenez wrote:

Is he? I am not saying he is a poor returner but certainly not of the standard of the better ones.

Oh he returned fantastic on the most important points. If you had seen the 1set set TB, you'll know what am I talking about.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:30 pm

I would say Berd is in TOP5 best returners.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi guys,
I was there at Arthur Ashe stadium yesterday and saw the match live it was pretty good! The standard at which Berdych played was high, but not out of this world high, and Fed somehow was sub-par (no Fognini effect though Winking) especially after the first 2-3 games. But even in his first service game his serving was not as good as it was all summer and as good as it needs to be for him from now on to beat the top guys. It was nonetheless a fantastic match with some sumptuous shots from Fed at some points, especially in set 3 and some heavy blows from Berdych. Also it was a bit historic as Fed had never lost in night matches before and it was Berdych's first night match on Ashe. What a way to celebrate!! Anyways, Sad for Fed, smiley for Berdych, who let's remind ourselves has a positive head to head vs. Murray so we never know, if they both play at the same levels as during their QFs, Berdych might get to the final... open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 1237221880

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:42 pm

By the way the court on Arthur Ashe plays so slow Sad Had it been as fast as Cincy (still not that fast if you ask me) Fed would have won. We also can notice in the H2H between Berdych and Murray that the former wins on the slower surfaces when the latter wins on the faster ones (if you don't believe me you can check), so if Ashe plays as it did in the QFs for the SF between them, my pick is Berdych to get to his first USO final and 2nd slam final ever...

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:52 pm

I wouldn't doubt any of Berd's shots from the baseline, it's just that he's not the type of player who can bring his best shots at will. Unlesssss...He obviously feels comfortable against the topplayers, especially if he has a good start.
It comes across as a bit cowardly: only being mentally strong from a underdog position.

Maybe anyone saw the final at Winston salem? That was good old Berdych. He knew he had to win that match. He outplayed Isner for the best part of the match and John was seriously tiring in the third so naturally Berd came up with a range of pathetic errors at the crucial moments.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:54 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:Oh he returned fantastic on the most important points. If you had seen the 1set set TB, you'll know what am I talking about.

Let's see again this TB when it's up on youtube but where you saw good returns I remember average if not poor serving from Fed.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:56 pm

sphairistike wrote:Hi guys,
But even in his first service game his serving was not as good as it was all summer and as good as it needs to be for him from now on to beat the top guys.

Exactly. And Fed played great shots in those first 4 games....and struggled in all his serves in that first set. Very much unlike his usual self.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Veejay wrote:
Tenez wrote:

I refuse to believe it. He's as good as ever. He won a lot of matches this year. He just needs to take care of his back, and he can last at the top level or another good few years. He does not seem to lack motivation and that's the main thing. Personally, I admire it and I don't know how he does it, must hate the thought of swapping trainers for slippers open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 1071211947

He is not as good as he was in his prime,but I do agree he is still playing at an incredibly high level.Im not using this as an excuse,at his age its impossible to be consistent,his body takes a lot longer to recover from matches plus he cant produce his best whenever he wants
Im just watching the match and theres no evidence of him struggling in this match like he did in the Olympics final
He was just making loads of errors,Berdych was clearly the better player

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Tenez wrote:
sphairistike wrote:Hi guys,
But even in his first service game his serving was not as good as it was all summer and as good as it needs to be for him from now on to beat the top guys.

Exactly. And Fed played great shots in those first 4 games....and struggled in all his serves in that first set. Very much unlike his usual self.
It's the same for every player. Nole's serve wasn't working in Cincy which is why Fed thrashed him. If only we knew why the serve varies like that in fit players...the only obvious reason is nerves, although I find it hard to believe that was the case with Fed against Berd.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:04 pm

gallery play wrote:I wouldn't doubt any of Berd's shots from the baseline, it's just that he's not the type of player who can bring his best shots at will. Unlesssss...He obviously feels comfortable against the topplayers, especially if he has a good start.
It comes across as a bit cowardly: only being mentally strong from a underdog position.

Maybe anyone saw the final at Winston salem? That was good old Berdych. He knew he had to win that match. He outplayed Isner for the best part of the match and John was seriously tiring in the third so naturally Berd came up with a range of pathetic errors at the crucial moments.

could it be that Berd was tiring, as well...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:04 pm

gallery play wrote:I wouldn't doubt any of Berd's shots from the baseline, it's just that he's not the type of player who can bring his best shots at will.

Berdych can pull great shots from the baseline but typically the top players would rush him into many UEs, so his great baseline shots are not all down to him. I remember the year he beat Nadal in Madrid and shushed the crowd...impressive but the following day v Gonzo, he could not pull the trigger first like he could versus 4m-behind-the-BL Rafa. And that is what Federer has usually done versus Berdych...and in fact did just that again yesterday in those first 4 games....it's Fed serve that really gave Berdych some openings.

Unlesssss...He obviously feels comfortable against the topplayers, especially if he has a good start.
That's true though he has been the underdog v Nadal and Djoko and that did not help him cause the other 2 can bring a physical dimension Federer cannot (or typically don't).

I did not see it but not surprised.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
It's the same for every player. Nole's serve wasn't working in Cincy which is why Fed thrashed him. If only we knew why the serve varies like that in fit players...the only obvious reason is nerves, although I find it hard to believe that was the case with Fed against Berd.

Yes I remember that. Though Fed's serve is probably one of his main weapon and it's usually very consistent.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:10 pm

It is and I remember dreading it during those semis which Nole was losing against him at USO. It really was formidable, just worked on tap. I don't know why he has dips with it now, but although it's still excellent, it's not as reliable as it once was.
It was unthinkable that he would not convert two match points back in 2007 eg.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:16 pm

noleisthebest wrote: I don't know why he has dips with it now, but although it's still excellent, it's not as reliable as it once was.

But we have heard a lot that his serve has actually improved in precision and consistency of late..this is what everybody was saying at the end of Wimbledon.

A bad serving day like that is still the exception more than anything..though from Madrid 12 to mid Wimby it was all over the place as well.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote: I don't know why he has dips with it now, but although it's still excellent, it's not as reliable as it once was.

But we have heard a lot that his serve has actually improved in precision and consistency of late..this is what everybody was saying at the end of Wimbledon.

A bad serving day like that is still the exception more than anything..though from Madrid 12 to mid Wimby it was all over the place as well.

To be honest, I pay little attention to what commentators say, I didn't observe his serve that closely last night, I wanted to see him in the semis take on Murray, hope Bird does the job.

He has been great this year, just that people always want more and if a player is not winning everything they make it out like it's a disaster.
Similar with Nole. He's had an excellent year, but if you look at the press, just because he is not repeating 2011, he somehow has dropped in form etc, etc.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:52 pm

No disaster but federer serving poorly si a bit like Nadal or Djoko not moving well....something we are not used to very much, especially at slams.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:54 pm

sphairistike wrote:By the way the court on Arthur Ashe plays so slow open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 1371890812 Had it been as fast as Cincy (still not that fast if you ask me) Fed would have won. We also can notice in the H2H between Berdych and Murray that the former wins on the slower surfaces when the latter wins on the faster ones (if you don't believe me you can check), so if Ashe plays as it did in the QFs for the SF between them, my pick is Berdych to get to his first USO final and 2nd slam final ever...

Nice you had a good time!
How slow is "so slow". I think it looks as usual, and it's not that slow.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm

As I (jokingly) said to the friend I went with at the USO yesterday, there was a mistake in the programing of the Fed computer and it was programmed to exhibition mode, so he did some really good looking shots from time to time and set 3 and some of the 4 seemed to show he was indeed in exhibition mode, not slam mode. In slam mode he would have been serving better and been more inside the court with his shots! Winking

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Tenez wrote:No disaster but federer serving poorly si a bit like Nadal or Djoko not moving well....something we are not used to very much, especially at slams.

Interesting you mention the movement, because that's exactly what happened in Wimbledon, Nole completely lost his movement against Fed. I'm not sure what happened, but my guess is that Fed mixed up his shots and unsettled him.

What do you think affects a player's serving (provided they are not injured)?
What was Feds serving like in previous matches this USO?

I haven't read the entire interview, but I think he alluded to "something else" but never went into any details.
" I’m sure it was a combination of many things,” he said. “He probably created more [chances] than I did, and that’s why he ended up winning tonight. The power is not really an issue here. I don’t think that was the problem. The problem was elsewhere.”

“Elsewhere,” according to Federer, didn’t include rust due to the walkover he received in the fourth round from Mardy Fish. Asked if the time off affected his forehand, Federer said, “I have been there before. Once I had six and a half days off and I ended up winning Wimbledon. I don’t think that was the issue tonight.”

That's the extract from ST's write-up on the match:
http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/09/no-better-moment/39299/#.UEi6OlS0bgo

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:06 pm

What do you think affects a player's serving (provided they are not injured)?
-------------------------

FRankly I don;t know....the back coudl be the obvious choice but he moved pretty well in that first set...so frankly dunno but to find reasons from someone who has been serving very well for years, including recently is tough. He says "elswhere" so it's clearly something he doesn't know or doesn't want to say....but clearly something...

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:08 pm

where have you got his interview?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Bien sûr, Tomas a bien joué mais je trouve aussi que je l'ai aidé à se sentir à l'aise, estime-t-il. Je n'ai pas mis une balle dedans pendant un set et demie. Je n'ai vraiment pas fait le match que j'espérais, c'est décevant. Je n'aurais jamais dû perdre le premier set, pourtant, c'est arrivé, c'est comme ça."

----------------------------------------

Interesting..."Of course Tomas played well but I helped him feel good. I did not put a ball in for a set and a half. I did not play the match I was hoping for, it's disappointing. I shoudl have never lost that first set, but I did, that's how it is.".

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Tenez wrote:where have you got his interview?

There is no interview on the USO website, just extracts from ST's article on the match. He must have been in the presser but the official website didn't upload it for some reason.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:29 pm

40 au total, en quatre sets, et surtout 24 en coup droit, clairement le secteur du jeu dans lequel Federer a été le plus exposé mercredi

==================================

40 UEs, in 4 sets, including 24 FHs!!!

To me it looks like the FO12 syndrome is "back".

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Tenez wrote:40 au total, en quatre sets, et surtout 24 en coup droit, clairement le secteur du jeu dans lequel Federer a été le plus exposé mercredi

==================================

40 UEs, in 4 sets, including 24 FHs!!!

To me it looks like the FO12 syndrome is "back".

well that's obviously chronic with him, I like the fact he doesn't talk about it, unlike someone else.
I must have been quite tired last night as I don't remember much from the match except the beginning and his forehand was fantastic.
do you remember much the game in which he got broken back? I was making myself some coffee, so missed it, but the match changed since then, at least that initial advantage Fed loves to capitalise on.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:03 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
well that's obviously chronic with him, I like the fact he doesn't talk about it, unlike someone else.

You mean me? open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 1071211947

I actually wished players were to talk more freely about it. They are great champions and are beyond the "excuses" stage. We see things as excuses because our big egos can be hurt that our/their wins might not be fully deserved but the fact remain if a player is not delivering due to physical problems, I think we shoudl accept it. I have this approach with every player, even those I play. If Nadal comes with an injury excuse that I can see, I don't mind saying it. When he lost to Ferrer in AO10, he tried to much to conceive his groin injury when it was obvious he had one.

Of course I have not watched the last 3 sets yesterday so can't say and I certainly did not pick up any mouvement issue (bar the serve) in that first set.

I must have been quite tired last night as I don't remember much from the match except the beginning and his forehand was fantastic.

Agree, he started very well and I have not been more clear. What made him drop his form, I don;t know but certainly something went off rails.

do you remember much the game in which he got broken back? I was making myself some coffee, so missed it, but the match changed since then, at least that initial advantage Fed loves to capitalise on.
Poor serving including a DF (I believe on that game).

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Tenez wrote:
You mean me? open - US open 2012: Matches of the Day: Day 10 - Page 6 1071211947

Oh stop it!!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Tenez wrote:

I actually wished players were to talk more freely about it. They are great champions and are beyond the "excuses" stage. We see things as excuses because our big egos can be hurt that our/their wins might not be fully deserved but the fact remain if a player is not delivering due to physical problems, I think we shoudl accept it. I have this approach with every player, even those I play. If Nadal comes with an injury excuse that I can see, I don't mind saying it. When he lost to Ferrer in AO10, he tried to much to conceive his groin injury when it was obvious he had one.

Of course I have not watched the last 3 sets yesterday so can't say and I certainly did not pick up any mouvement issue (bar the serve) in that first set.

Poor serving including a DF (I believe on that game).

Injury talk always sounds, or at least it's made to sound as an excuse by the media. Fed was right a while ago when he said if you're fit to play you go and play. Noone wants to know about injuries. All players carry niggles, I bet they are not 100% half the time. It's impossible.

then you have fans of whom 90% have not played sport and think injury is something when you break a leg or require surgery.
Anyway, how did I get to this.....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:22 pm

another extract from Fed's unavailable interview (from tennis.com):

"Roger Federer says he will reassess his fall plans after being upset by Tomas Berdych at the U.S. Open.

“So many moments I thought, ‘Man, it's just not happening for me.' It
was just a very disappointing match for me,” Federer said. “I've got to
go back to the drawing board from here and see what's really the
priority, if [finishing No. 1] a priority for the end of the year. So I
don't know right now. I mean, the goal has been achieved, but now this
is disappointing for me. We'll see where I go from now and if I go to
Davis Cup [next week] or not, about what's to come for the remainder for
the season. No. 1 has another a role to play, but this obviously is a
setback. But again, season is not over. I hope to finish strong at the
end, and particularly in the indoor season then.”

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Injury talk always sounds, or at least it's made to sound as an excuse by the media. Fed was right a while ago when he said if you're fit to play you go and play. Noone wants to know about injuries. All players carry niggles, I bet they are not 100% half the time. It's impossible.

No I don't like those catch up phrases. They are often if not always wrong. You may not be fit but yet have to play and of course not everybody is 100% all the time and that is why it needs to be said to some extend. I am not saying they should all talk about their niggles but sometimes I wish they coudl tell more. It was for instance clear that Tsonga was not 100% in that USO but he made a big effort in teh press room to keep it quiet, same for Fed from Madrid to Mid Wimby. I just wish he coudl speak a bit more freely. At least this time Federer was a bit more explicit....like he has been about his Olympic final. It doesn't mean they woudl have won otherwise but at least it can explain some of the scoring. I know not many would agree with me on that point.

then you have fans of whom 90% have not played sport and think injury is something when you break a leg or require surgery.
Exactly. If they don;t see crutches in one hand the racquet in the other, then all is fine. Unfortunately, sport at this level requires often 5% off top form to lose a match which would have been won otherwise.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:49 pm

[quote="Tenez"]
noleisthebest wrote:Injury talk always sounds, or at least it's made to sound as an excuse by the media. Fed was right a while ago when he said if you're fit to play you go and play. Noone wants to know about injuries. All players carry niggles, I bet they are not 100% half the time. It's impossible.

That's Federer's turn of phrase btw....the one he used after Novak's retirement in AO 09

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:53 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

That's Federer's turn of phrase btw....the one he used after Novak's retirement in AO 09

Yes I know and that proves he was wrong anyway. Though he used it for a different issue here. What he meant was to finish the match I guess which from the public standpoint is fair...but that doesn't mean that the public shoudl not know about other factors. What's the point of a press conf anyway if it's just to say "I played better" and "he was the better player on teh day" kind of catch phrases.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:54 pm

I thought you might enjoy this one, Tenez, Fed agrees with you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxawB9iPts&feature=fvwp&NR=1

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:12 am

yes, that's funny! I guess it's no news, everybody agrees with that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:34 am

I fastforwarded myself through the match yesterday and have to say Fed's sudden drop of form was upsetting. The fact it visibly surprised Fed too suggests that there was nothing wrong physically. Fed had big plans here. Perhaps his head was already in the final, hence a loss of focus. Un-federish but in a way understandable after the year he had. A bit like the USO 2009 final.
As for Berdych: his confidence grew after 3 games when he found out Fed was having a bad day. He anticipated well but the upset was initiated by a couple of shanks from the Swiss

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 am

gallery play wrote: A bit like the USO 2009 final.

Yes I thought of that.

But in 2009 I think exhaustion was the reason (super Sat) but I certainly don't think exhaustion was the reason for that poor serving yesterday. I'll have a better look at this first set again cause this is where it all went wrong.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum